Monday, December 1, 2014

He is The Gift of Christmas


Another good week in Universal City,
 

Thanksgiving was great. We ate with the Steven's family, and they fed us quite nicely. Elder Loveridge ate 7 pieces of pie. I ate only 2 and a half. I was extremely full for the rest of the day.
 
Those of you who surf the internet have likely seen the "He is the Gift" initiative that the church has taken on. If you haven't seen the video, I encourage to visit christmas.mormon.org right now. This video helps us to remember what the true meaning of Christmas is, and why we celebrate it. Of course Christmas isn't His real birthday, but it allows us to come together and remember the Gift He truly is to us. And after you've seen it, take the time to share it with someone, or post it to whatever social media site is popular nowadays. As missionaries we're doing our best to guide people to this initiative. Christmas is the best time to be a missionary, honestly. It's a great time to be a member missionary as well.

One of the paths that we take to visit the city "Schertz" takes us through a dried up creek. We've seem to run into a lot of dead deer in our adventures down in Schertz. I was tempted to take a picture of one of them and send it home, but I supposed that wouldn't be a good sight for the eyes. The one time I almost ran over one of them startled me immensely. I've seen more deer roadkill in Texas than back at home, and that's something that has surprised me a little bit.

We found a family. The mother's mom was a less active member who had moved, but when we went to go visit her, instead we found this family. They have very open minds. The first visit we had the opportunity to help the father set up this huge work out machine, which we saw completed when we visited them again. While they have great potential, I'm apprehensive that they might lose their momentum and stop investigating. But with the Christmas season and the member who was willing to come with us to the first lesson with them, they should be able to continue to learn. I'm crossing my everything for them. Tony and Staniel are their names. Staniel seems quite a bit more open minded than Tony, but they are both easy to talk to and get along with, and they have four wonderful children. During our lesson with them, the youngest made off with our pamphlet and gave it to his parents. Then later he tried to make off with another one. 

Next week I'll find out if I'm staying or going. While I've loved the people of Universal City, I'm anxious to go to an area that I can us my Spanish in. I've talked to a total of four or five different contacts who speak Spanish, and none of them have been too interested. Over and over in my journal I note how blessed I am to be able to use both languages in preaching the gospel, but I wouldn't mine using a tad bit more Spanish. Who knows what will happen? Elder Loveridge guesses that we will stay together for another transfer, which is likely. It's also possible that he might leave and I will stay. But whatever happens, I know I'll be where I need to be. Maybe I'll see some growth in the Universal City ward.

We missed Richard, Ramon, and Gloria this week. Richard told us that he read a few pages of the Book of Mormon at the beginning, which is a good sign. We'll go to visit tonight, hopefully we can invite his family to join us. Ramon has been faithfully coming to church every week since I've been here. I wonder what she needs in order to have the desire to be baptized. Wonderful lady, and she even knows the Book of Mormon is true. I suppose it'll just take a bunch of prayer and time. After all, it is he choice to make, not ours.

The Lord protects his missionaries. Yesterday on our way to an appointment, I looked down at my pocket and noticed my pen was missing. This distressed me for just long enough that when Elder Loveridge stopped for some reason I ran into from the side. Luckily I was going very slow. None of us were hurt, but I couldn't help but laugh after it was over. When we returned home that evening, I found my pen was on my desk. Looks like I had never put it in my pocket. I was happy because I lose pens quite rapidly, and the fine tip pens I use are expensive.


Could you tell more of your experiences with the people of the Universal City ward- are they native Texans , or do they come from other places, are the ward members young or older, converts to the Church or members all their lives?

Some of them are native Texans, most of them are military families that are currently making a stop, or have made their final stop in Universal City. Some of the members speak Spanish, but all of them can speak English. There's a good mix of older and younger members, so I couldn't say exactly if their is more or less of either group. A good amount of converts, but their is only one recent convert family that was baptized within the last year. We'll have to see if we can change that.

 How has the Spirit guided you this past week? 

Every once and a while Elder Loveridge and I get into disagreements and have a little bit of contention. The Spirit guides me the most when he first leads me to forgive myself and second to apologize to my companions. The Spirit also lead us to meet a man as we were returning to our apartment. Due to the fact that we can't ride our bikes in the dark, we were walking. We met the guy who immediately stopped us and asked us if we could pray for him. He said he knew Mormons and some other things, and told us about his difficulty finding a job. We had a prayer with him right there and I could feel calm afterwards. We gave him our information and we hope he'll give us a call. If not we know we were at the right place at the right time. There's nothing quite as satisfying as that.

My parents asked for a picture of me and my bike. I didn't take it before we left the apartment, so y'all might have to wait until next week. I named it "Noahs Ark". It's carried me through many a rainstorm even in the five months I've had it.
Enjoy the season,

-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

Elder Loveridge's family sent us some Christmas goodies. Two advent calendars filled with chocolate and two stockings that look ready to serve missions.


No comments:

Post a Comment