Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Time, When the Time is Prime


Dear Family, Friends, and Others,

 A special thanks to the Grimmers, the Balls, the Lovelands, and the Lunds for their Christmas cards. I was surprised to get mail during the Mission Conference this past Wednesday, and was glad to see that people back at home were thinking of me.

Christmas is in only a few days. Very interesting to think that exactly a year ago I would still have been home with family, doing whatever in the world I was doing. My six month mark of service in the Texas San Antonio Mission will be on the 25 -- Christmas. I'm lucky to have two occasions to celebrate on this marvelous reminder of Christ's birth. Even if his birth wasn't in December, it doesn't matter.

 Last Monday after P-day activities we went and visited a family in our area. When we told them we didn't have a tree, they gave us a Charley Brown Christmas tree, the one that has more twig than branch. That was a fun tree to have. Then yesterday another member donated a mini Christmas tree to us as well, only slightly bigger than the other one. While I'm not used to having trees this small, I couldn't be happier with the trees we got. I was glad to throw my makeshift Christmas Tree away.

Wednesday Christmas Conference was great. It was wonderful to see my past companions and catch up on what's going on with them. Elder Tews, Goodman, Loveridge and all of the others are doing quite well. All of the mission presidency spoke to us, and we were blessed to hear many musical numbers. Following some good ol' Texan barbecue we had a talent show. Elder Goodman and an old companion of his sang their song "Preach the Gospel," and Sister Woodward gave her parody called "The Little Mia-maid." and another group called the "Mariachi-oneros gave a pretty silly song. Then other people like President Slaughter's son performed more sacred songs that brought the spirit. Then other performances are better seen than explained.

President Slaughter especially focused on teaching us about the references that Jesus Christ is God, and that if he was not, he could not have preformed the Atonement. He made references that the Atonement is not only Retro-active (those who lived before Him could access his act) but that it was also Intergalactic-ally-active, that all people who have ever lived on any planet could access it. Sister Slaughter taught about the joys she had in teaching about Jesus in a nation that doesn't have a Christian background. She said that it was a blessing to teach those who weren't influence by the false doctrines of others.

It's very interesting to think of how much meaning Christmas would lack if Christ had not done what he did. As God's first gift to us, we will all be resurrected. Even that alone is enough for us to share with everyone we meet as missionaries. But even better, we know that by following the doctrine of Christ, we can return to live with our Heavenly Father again. Another couple that we were teaching, Kevin and Bianca, didn't have a Christian background and were completely new to the idea of Jesus Christ. Except for the little bit of reading that Kevin read from Proverbs, he hadn't read the Bible before. Bianca has tried several different churches. They had a lot of questions that helped me to ponder my relationship with God. We did, however, pass them off to the Zone Leaders, who cover the area that they live in. If they were just on the opposite side of the street, we would have kept teaching them, but alas, it won't matter.

I barely passed my tier 2 Spanish test, and once I finish the book-work necessary, I will pass into the tier 2. The TSAM is divided into three tiers of Spanish mastery. The first is ridiculously easy to get into, which I passed into during my first transfer in the mission, the second is moderate difficulty and the third is insane. I've heard that if I pass the third tier, that certificate will grant me a minor in Spanish in some universities. A bunch of work went into passing this tier, and while I'm not done yet, I'm excited to see my progress.

I'm excited that I still have 18 months+ to serve in the TSAM. My Spanish will grow, and my love for other people regardless of background should also grow. I'm glad to be serving in a bike area where I can continue to exercise regularly, and stay as fit as I can.

As for the funny moment, Elder Vergara and I were on our way to the mail center to pick things up. He was expecting a package because he ordered a set of mini scriptures which were supposed to arrive in 2-3 days (this was friday and he ordered these on monday). When we checked the box and found a key to one of the package slots, he grabbed it and proceeded to open the slot. I slyly said, "If that's for me, I'm going to laugh." He opened the slot and I proceeded to chuckle. Luckily, "Because I [Had] Been Given Much" I too shared some of the package. Thanks for packing some things for him, Mom. We get a good laugh out of that every once in a while.
 

How are the families and people you are serving?

They are doing quite well. Tony and Staniel didn't make it to church this week either, but we're hoping with another week as a chance, and then afterward with the church time change to 11 from 8:30, we might be more successful in bringing them to church. They still do have their freedom of will. Their family is really quite delightful.

We also reestablished contact with Richard, who I may or may not have talked about before. He didn't really explain why we kept missing him, but when we offered to stop by he agreed. We met his two nice daughters but his wife was working. We shared the "He is the Gift" video with him and he plans on sharing it with his wife. He invited us over for Christmas, which is pretty exciting.

It did get rainy and yesterday snowy here, so have you also gotten rain?

Hardly a drop. We got sprinkled on a little walking to church yesterday, but nothing heavy.

How are you and Elder Vergara helping and learning from each other?

Because Elder Vergara knows enough Spanish to understand most of what I say, he's let me pray in Spanish when we are together. That is an immense blessing that will allow me to learn my Spanish even more. He's a great example of the desire to improve and to make the most of the time he has with any companion. He's said many time that he doesn't "want to survive a transfer [he] wants to enjoy and thrive in it." 

I'm not sure what he's learning from me. I'm sure he learns enough. I know that he loves the people we teach very well. He doesn't want to show them any degree of impatience, and he wants to be fully in any visit we make.

AND how was the program and gathering on Wed.?

Wonderful. (See main part of email).

How do the people in the Universal city area show Christmas cheer?

Regardless of the level of snow in Texas, the people here do like to deck out their yards with lights. Likely because of the lack of snow they are able to do more elaborate air sculpture thingies, light arrangements and so forth. This one house had a brilliant light that shot several laser-like lights at the house. It must have been an expensive light, but it probably took the complication out of stringing up lights in the tree and on their house.

The ward members have done a great job of sharing gifts and goodies with one another as well. The lights are only a garnish for the warm christian and non-christian hearts in the area.

 

Merry Christmas to everyone. If you haven't seen "He is the Gift," take three minutes and go and watch it. It helps pick up the Christmas spirit, and is great to share with the whole family.

 

--

-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission
P.S. It's hard to express how much the support from the people back home has helped me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!


Two pictures of the tree that I got from a member, with the lights sent from home. The gigantic pencil has "Texas, San Antonio" printed on it, because of course, everything is bigger in Texas. The ornament was one that we got during Christmas Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment