Monday, December 8, 2014

More Time in Universal City, but Without Elder Loveridge


Dear family, friends, ward family, and random stranger roaming the internet,

Looks like I'll spend another transfer in Universal City; my companion Elder Loveridge however, will not. He's been called as a zone leader, and he'll be sent to who knows where in the TSAM. He predicted we'd stay together, however I successfully predicted he'd become a zone leader. I have the proof in my journal. I'm really hoping that if I get a new companion, that he will be Spanish speaking so I can have a buddy to bounce my Spanish off of. Those missionaries in foriegn countries have the blessed situation of always having a Spanish companion, something that I'm just a little jealous of. I won't be training anyone, and I'm just crossing my fingers that at some point in my mission I'll have the chance to do that. But maybe I'm just not destined to train anyone at all. Doesn't matter. If I do train someone, I'll be forced to act a little less goofy. So at the same time I am blessed.

Elder Judd, a missionary from Cibolo, part of our district, will be the new District leader, and I found out that Sister Turpin and Elder Pew are new the new Sister Training Leader Leader and Assistant to the President respectively. Both are great missionaries that I look up to. Working with them has been a blast. I wish them the best, and I love how the best missionaries are always called to positions in which they may serve the most.

Elder Loveridge has mixed feelings about the whole change. He'll do great, but he told me that he will miss the opportunity he's had to work so close to the Elders in the district. I can imagine, work as a district leader is a bunch more personal than work as a Zone Leader. I can't imagine him disliking the opportunity to go on lots of exchanges as a ZL though. One day I suppose I might be a district leader. It would be cool to go on a few more exchanges and be responsible for organizing district meetings. For now, howerver, I'm allowed to take things slow, one bit at a time.

One evening this week, walking home from our visits, we came across this Jamaican man with a barbeque pit trailer hitch, randomly cooking meet in the parking lot of a store. Upon talking with him, he offered us some food, which we accepted, and I can't say that I've ever had chicken as good as what that guy made. I'm glad however that I didn't get food poisoning, which would have been bad. Let this be a lesson to you that generally you shouldn't take chicken from strangers. Unless they are Jamaican. This was the funniest moment of the week.

Even as that jamaican man got the food ready, we met someone else who passed by us on the sidewalk. He had seen us before on our bikes and was curious what we were up too. We shared a little with him, and we'll probably go visit him. We think he lives in Randolph ward, however, and after we teach him once, we'll probably have to refer him to the Randolph Elders. Too bad, but not really, because we are all on the same side.

This week I had an exchange with the Cibolo Elders, Elder Reimschussel and Elder Judd. Elder R was the first person that I ever handed out a Book of Mormon out with, but he worked in UC as I was in Cibolo. And because Elder Hughes is missing his companion, I also technically had an exchange with Randolph as well. It was interesting because that morning we ate with a member for breakfast and then we helped him to decorate his Christmas Tree. then later that evening during the exchange we decorated another tree. Pretty funny. It makes me want to go out and buy a puny tree and decorate it too, but Elder Loveridge isn't on board with that. I'll just have to hope that my next companion has more Christmas spirit than him. Just kidding of course. No problems in that regard.

I did snore badly for Elder Hughes though, as I forgot to get more nose pads from the store last P-day. He had enough and threw a pillow at me, which utterly startled me in the middle of the night. I've always felt bad for the Elders that have to put up with my snoring, which apparantly doesn't dissapear just because I'm in the Lord's service.

Another set of Elders had a baptismal interview that they needed Elder Hughes for, so of course we tagged along. I was glad that it went well for the candidates. We helped Elder Hughes do some Zone Leader business earlier in the day, but otherwise little happened during that exchange. 

Owing to how many people we visit everyday, I can't remember if I've told y'all about Tony and Staniel. Anyway, they are a great couple with four kids that we met when we went looking for their less-active mother-in-law/mother. Instead we met them, and as soon as Tony found out that we weren't Jehova's Witnesses, he let us in. That made me a laugh a little. We've had the wonderful chance to teach them twice already, and the only reason they didn't come to church yesterday was due to their oversleeping. We think that we'll have them for sure this coming Sunday. But of course, as always, prayers for their benefit are welcome, as I see this family progressing an awful lot. Oh boy, I'm excited for them.

One scripture that I liked from 2 Nephi 28:14 talks about how the prideful people were taught by the precepts of man. It reminds me that I need to be careful from which sources and whom I am studying from, and that I remain humble, seeking to be a child and a saint. The scriptures talk about an awful lot.
 
This Saturday we had a meeting with all of the San Antonio missionaries and Elder Corbridge and Wright of the Seventy. They talked about being willing to say and go as we are sent, and to build up the kingdom in the areas we server, one person, one member, one investigator at a time. They talked about how our desires shouldn't as much be to baptize, as to baptize and bring others to a knowledge of the gift and power of God. They also said that if people really understood what we taught, they would have no problems with being baptized. What an eye-opening statement!

I'm struck with the depth of things I was able to learn with Elder Loveridge. Anyone considering serving a mission would be helplessly done a disservice if they didn't serve. It'll be up to you, but you won't regret it as long as you stay true to what you believe. It won't, however, mean anything if you don't stay true, or continue to believe. But if you do, it'll bless you. It'll be hard to return home after all of this.

Questions and Answers: 

Well, have you been transferred?

See monologue above.

If so or not please tell any and all things that have caught your notice in spiritual ways this first week of December. 

I've noticed how critical prayer in the morning is. Elder Loveridge and I were listening to conference talks this week and one by Elder Holland struck me. He talked about how God created all things spiritually before he did physically, and based on His example how we should pray to create our day spiritually. I'm trying to work on that.

How are the families?

Great. Ramon is still coming to church, but still isn't ready to be baptized. We haven't heard from Gloria in forever. Still pray for her, she'll need it. Tony and Staniel are awesome. All of the families from this ward seem to be doing very well. I want to find another family this week.

How are the people?

Fantastic. I really wish more Spanish speakers were here. However, we did get a return appointment with a man named josé, who seems promising. It'll be hard at church because his English is limited, but if he feels the spirit, it won't matter.

What have you learned from the work with your companion this week?

Elder Loveridge always teaches me how to contact people on the street better. He's given me insights that have heightened me ability. He teaches me to be more tactful with my words, and quicker at my insights. He teaches me to smile. He teaches me to exercise hard in the morning in order to be invigorated for studies. I'll miss him. As of yet, I've not had a single companion for more than about 10 weeks. I'll receive my 8th one at the beginning of my 5th transfer. It's crazy.

How's the weather?

A lack of snow makes it weird for me to say "Merry Christmas." I feel like there ought to be a lot more snow, or snow period. We wear sweaters for the most part. One night when it started to rain, Elder Loveridge lovingly donated his scarf to me. because I wanted to keep my head dry, I got creative and wrapped it into a turban. It almost looked like a beanie after a few tries. I was pretty proud of myself.

 How are the bikes?

Working well. Elder Loveridge got this bizarre knot in his chain this week, so while we took his bike to the shop to get fixed, I let them tune mine up as well. The place that most missionaries purchase their bikes from is in the area, so they tuned my bike for free, and his for cheap. 


Don't you love my Scarf-turban-beanie?

 

Cibolo and Universal city. In our apartment, which isn't anything fancy but it get's the job done. You'll note that Elder Reimschussel is the shorter missionary with either the maniatic or scared look on his face. His birthday is on the same day as my brother Tracy's. Funny.

-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

P.S. Would any of you like to send your stories of how you've come closer to Christ during the Christmas season? I might use some of them in teaching situations. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment