Monday, December 29, 2014

Skyping Home on Christmas

Dear Family and other etc's,

I was glad to hear from my family and see their shining faces for a time. Forty minutes passes by quite quickly. It was a tremendous blessing to have a short time to do this, because anything longer than that might have turned my thoughts away from the work and sucked them back home. That wouldn't have been too useful for the rest of the evening.
Last P-day I went to a store nearby to buy myself some much needed brown sunday shoes. After I waited for some time in line, I went to pay for the shoes, but forgot the pin number for my personal card. The only thing left for me to do was to use my missionary card, which combined with the only few bills in my wallet, was barely enough to pay for the shoes. It was a blessing that I decided against a few different things during grocery shopping, because if I had bought a single one of those extra things, I wouldn't have had enough to pay for the shoes. Fewf. And of course, as soon as we got to the car I promptly remembered the pin, in its shining glory. My brain has a way of making fun of me from time to time.

For Christmas I got four new ties, a picture of the Savior, two Spanish-English dictionaries (one visual, one normal), some vitamin supplements, chocolate, and other things. Christmas isn't made because of the gifts, but I'd like to think that the things that I received were useful.
Tony and Staniel didn't make it to church this Sunday either. It was a bummer. But, with the UC ward changing to 11, they have an even greater chance of making to church. On Saturday a 8-year-old was being baptized, and we invited them to come to the baptism. We walk to the church, and time passes and they miss the actual baptism. We got worried. We weren't even sure if they'd make it to see the confirmation, and at just the last moment we meet them at the front door and guide them to where the confirmation took place. They seemed to enjoy it, and we promptly took them on a church tour afterwards. Talk about a close call.

Richard seems to be doing well. He wants us to meet his wife, but she seems to be working most of the time, which makes it difficult. We taught him the Plan of Salvation, and he was extremely interested in the Celestial kingdom. When we gave him the pamphlet, he said, "Can you leave it open to the page about the kingdoms? I want to share this with my wife." We're not completely sure where he needs to go. He will progress the best if we can include his whole family, and that will require his wife. We're crossing our fingers and praying, because our own wisdom probably won't be enough.
Christmas on the mission isn't too much different than any other day of the year. The few differences were the wonderful Christmas dinner, presents to open when we wake up, and deliberately avoiding knocking on random doors any time during the day. My companion summed the receptiveness of people on Christmas well: "They will either be extremely willing to invite us in, or shocked that we would even dare." We tried to visit Richard, but he was still at his in-laws when we dropped by.

How did the rest of of your Christmas day go?

It went well. Like I said, it wasn't terrible different from other days. When we couldn't visit with Richard, we asked a member to bring us home, where we tried to get some more book work done, but I proceed to wimp-out and fall asleep on the couch. Ugh.


How are the Richard and his family and Tony  and Staniel and their little ones?

Richard is doing well. When we last met with him on Saturday, he decided to visit us dinner, AFTER we had already ate with members. Elder Vergara got more than his fair share, and had to lug everything home after the visit. I had warned him, however, and did not feel guilty for him, only sorry. ;-0

Did Elder Vergara enjoy his talk time with his family?
I believe so. I wasn't present and only heard a few words as I passed by the room he was in from time to time. I think he saw his dogs from home, his parents and younger brother.
And how has the Spirit guided you this week as the year turns around?
Just in the simple things. Say this. Go there. Visit him. I've felt a good amount of comfort as the Spirit confirmed to me that I should be here and that I'm worthy to do what I'm doing. Thank goodness for Christ's atonement.
Any snow in the forecast?
Negatory.
What was the funniest thing you encountered?

More like the funniest thing that another family encountered. We had dinner with a family this weekend, and we met the father who had been away working on school as part of the military. He told us that at one point during their marriage, they had only been together for 3 years out of the 12 that they were married, or a number close to it. That must have been rough. He told of an experience he had while he and their family were driving a van down a highway going 80 miles an hour. All of the sudden a coyote crosses their path and WAM, they t-bone the poor animal. It didn't stand a chance. The father didn't know quite how to react, and mimicked the "Meep-meep" classic to the road runner. While his wife was shocked and appalled, all of the kids laughed their heads off. That was a pretty funny story.

  --

-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

Posing in front of the trees on Christmas day. Do you like my snarky shirt I bought from Goodwill?

No comments:

Post a Comment