Monday, September 1, 2014

The Strain Means Growth


Buenas dias a todos, familia, mi barrio, y mis amigos.

Pues, this week was another hard week. But luckily, I'm starting to understand that the difficulties I'm going through will help me to come closer to Jesus Christ, so that I can invite others to do the same.

A funny experience: when we knocked a few doors in the area of a house we wanted to visit, we met a Hispanic lady who was very hospitable. She spoke Spanish at a rapid pace and I tried as best as I could to understand everything, but I missed a few words here and there. Before we left, we offered to say a prayer with her, and she accepted, talking about some difficulty her husband had had with work. At least I thought she said something about work. After I said the prayer with her and we left, Elder Tews told me that her husband had died. I felt silly that I didn't understand her. Luckily though, after a few minutes of walking and talking, I found courage to laugh at myself instead of feeling sorry for myself.

This Wednesday we had a Zone meeting combined with interviews with President Slaughter. During my interview with President, he helped me to understand that I won't learn my Spanish if I don't feel strain. Generally, I shouldn't stop talking in Spanish when it gets hard to do so. I think if I diligently practice Spanish, regardless of which area I serve in, I will be fluent when I get back.

The Rubio family is progressing well. Yesterday, the whole family made it to church, on time, and they stayed for the three hours. I was excited for them. As important as church attendance is, they will progress faster through daily scriptures study. Hopefully they will make time to read even as they juggle school or work and family life.

Are the areas where you and Elder Tews are biking sort of hilly or kind of flat?

There are some roads that are extremely hilly. On one road in particular, there are two large hills that we bike over as we ride on it. Other places are much more level, and biking isn't very hard at all.

 In our visiting teaching message for the month Pres. Uchdorf says, "He is the promised Messiah. He lived a perfect life and atoned for our sins. He will fight our battles. He is our hope. He is our salvation; He is the way." So, this week, what are some battles that the Savior has fought for you and the wonderful people you and Elder Tews serve?

The Savior has helped me battle the enemy of anger. Through learning more about His patience, I notice that my afflictions are quite minor. He helped me to overcome frustration over small things, and learn from my mistakes rather than brood over them.

Faith in Jesus Christ helped Sister Johnson to overcome the trial of smoking. She has been clean for at least a week and a half now, and she will be ready to be baptized on September 19th. Her husband will take part in the baptism as well. It is through faith that Sister Johnson endured and gave up smoking.

How has your hope in the Savior helped you this week?  

Certainly it helped me to understand that my frustration will pass. Not because missionary work will get easier, but because my ability to bear it will increase. He helped me to understand that he cares for me even as I make mistakes. He loves the people of our ward and wants me to do whatever I can to lift them.

My hope in my Savior helped me to understand that with His help, my mission will not be a waste, and that I can be a missionary throughout the rest of my life.

What was your happiest experience this week?

One of the Rubio daughters reads from the Book of Mormon often. We can tell that she reads and prays because of the change in her continence. When I realized that she was reading, and that her father is taking steps to lead his family in faith, I felt extremely happy. Nothing beats the happiness you feel when people exercise faith, and come unto Christ. 

I was also happy when I realized I've served 2 months here in Windcrest. And my mission isn't done!

Elder Hall

P.S. I want to figure out how to type accent marks on Windows computers. Any resource that could help me learn how is welcome

P.S.S. This picture is a picture my companion took after the most recent bike wreck. Strength and resolve. 
 
 
 
 
 
















No comments:

Post a Comment