Monday, September 29, 2014

Overcoming Sickness

Good morning family, friends, and ward family,

Another great week this week. The highlight of this week was Sister Johnson's confirmation, but I had other opportunities to grow and feel the joy of the work. One of my favorite verses from this last week was from 2 Nephi 27:11. We know that the sealed book the verse talks about is the Book of Mormon itself.

Here are some questions:

How is Sister Johnson doing? And her family?

Elder Hall, Sis. Johnson, Bro. Johnson and Elder Tews


Sister Johnson and Brother Johnson are both doing well. Elder Tews and I found out that she even made it to the General Women's Conference on Saturday night, and that she enjoyed the experience there.

Is it yet time for you to find and buy a sweater on you prep day for the cold weather coming up?
It certainly is getting colder here in San Antonio. Because of the moisture here, you can feel the temperature a little bit more precisely. 

How does knowing that the God of grace is with you as you serve him help you do your work?
At times as a missionary I feel inadequate, I can remember that my success isn't measured only on my own effort. God qualifies his missionaries and disciples for the work, and he allows us to do better than we can by ourselves.

How is Elder Tews' family doing?
From what I understand, his family is doing great. His two younger brothers are enjoying their teenage years. I was glad to hear they'll go to Disney Land sometime in the future.

 And what great insights did you receive from zone conference?

President Slaughter taught us more about the doctrine of baptism, and all of the things that need to happen before an individual can be baptized. Just like the first principles of the gospel, a person needs to have faith and repent. They also need to be baptized by someone holding the proper authority. They must also received Christ's gospel by someone who is set apart to preach the gospel, like one of our apostles.
Earlier in the week we found a couple that had been taught by missionaries in another part of Texas. They told us that after their move they lost contact with the missionaries.  We were surprised when after we had sat down when the father brought a copy of the Book of Mormon with him. He told us he was grateful that we had found them, and that he took it as an answer from God that he should come closer to Christ.
 
I'll admit, zone conference was difficult for me. Early in the morning that day, I woke up with the flu. Elder Tews helped me to clean up the messes, and then we went back to bed. As a result when we got to zone conference I was pretty tired. With the help of a healing blessing before the meeting, I mustered up the strength I needed to in order to pay attention during the trainings our leadership gave. One of those trainings was on baptism. At the mission president's wife's request, we left zone conference early, right after lunch. We came back to the apartment and I went to bed as soon as I could. I only woke up one other time in the afternoon, but I otherwise slept until 6:30 the next morning on Saturday.

-Elder Hall

P.S. I'm glad to hear that there are some new families in the ward. Say hello to them for me :).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment