Monday, October 6, 2014

Conference Weekend

Hello Family,

If you read nothing else from my email, watch General Conference. If you missed any of it for any reason, make an effort to watch the rest. You won't regret it. :-D

 
Here are some questions from Mom:

What messages in conference stood out to be most especially helpful and encouraging to you?
 
My companion and I loved Elder Bednar's talk. But of all, I think Elder Scott's talk touched me most.  His suggestions will help anyone come closer to our savior, and to reevaluate our spiritual progress.
 
How did you see that Conference affected the wonderful people of the Windcrest area?

I don't know how it affected everyone, but I do know that the Johnsons benefited from the few sessions they watch. As Sister Johnson reminded us, "stay in the boat."
 
What did you think of Elder Bednar's talk especially to those who are not members of the Church?
I beamed during that entire talk. If we as members can remember how Jesus Christ's Gospel has blessed us in our lives, wouldn't we want to share that same feeling of relief? I loved it that Elder Bednar's youngest son didn't suddenly learn how to bandage wounds after his brother helped him. He shared the medical ointment the only way he knew how.
It doesn't matter if we are full time missionaries or not. We can share our love for the prophet, the scriptures, and for temples.

What was your favorite music in Conference?
Praise to The Man was my favorite. I appreciate his work as the first prophet of our dispensation more now as a missionary and after this conference than ever before.

Wasn't it interesting that the talks that were given in other languages in Conference were in Cantonese , 2 in Espanol, and the other in Portugese?

Very interesting! I wanted to listen to the Spanish speakers speak Spanish, but we watched Conference in english, so this wasn't possible.

General conference was a blast for me. I feel extremely blessed that I can hear the words of our prophet and his apostles every six months. Today I forgot to bring my notes on conference with me, but I can share more from my notes next week.

I felt the testimony of Elder Nelson strongly as he testified of a living prophet. Even if we do not receive all of the revelation that Thomas S. Monson does to guide the church, we can seek to receive confirming revelation that his guidance is true. Probably one of my favorite insights from conference was that Nephi had to seek confirming revelation that his father, Lehi, did in fact see a vision. Revelation guides the church from the top to the very bottom.

This week we had the opportunity to see a movie called "Meet the Mormons." You probably have heard about it. Take some time to invite a friend to see the movie with you. This is a great opportunity to share some of our beliefs in a non-threatening way. I really enjoyed the film.

 
-Elder Hall

P.S. Due to circumstances partially out of my control, I didn't have as much time to email as I usually do. If this email seems rushed, don't worry. :-D

P.S.S. This week I made some wheat pancakes from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment