Monday, November 16, 2015

Magnifico

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Hello vosotros,

So there was a double out. That means that both Elder Brough and I both left Cedar Park/ Carriage Hills. It was a short lived experience there. But now the exciting news:

I'm serving in HUEBNER CREEK! Guess what? It's a Spanish area! After all this time and after arriving in my seventh area, I get to proselyte among the speakers of the angelic language of Spanish. I'm quite happy. It's kind of funny, because we cover the area of Uvalde. But, because I believe a Spanish missionary is there, and because we don't really have the miles to last going over there, we usually stay within San Antonio boundaries. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Even better, I scored two companions. Elder Lawrence is our district leader, and Elder Bartier (Pronounced, Bar-tea-ay) is with us as well. Elder Lawrence is from Kuna (Q- nuh), Idaho and Elder Bartier from Lehi. It's a kind of funny trio that we have.

My New Companions In Huebner Creek, Elders Bartier, Lawrence and Me

So I had this really strange dream the other night. I dreamed that Elder Black and I were running through this interesting half steam-punk half normal city trying to get to a meeting on the other side of the City. He was running quite fast, and I asked him to slow down so that I could keep up, and if I fell behind he could leave me behind. Later during the run, he found a car and got in and drove away. So to catch him, I got a running start and flew after him, and dropped into his car from the air.

We got to the meeting late, and somehow the meeting changed to a play rehearsal. I did not realize that I was supposed to memorize the script before the rehearsal, and I panicked. Then later somehow someone kidnaps me and bakes me into a pastry, and these Indian guys are about to eat me, when I start teaching them the restoration in Spanish to them. Unfortunately, my words don't mean the same thing to me as they do to them, and they are about to eat me, when I start speaking English and they understand that somehow. There was more to the dream I had but I have forgotten it. It was quite strange.

We're looking to find some people to build the kingdom in the area. We have some people that we are working with already, and on Friday we found a four generation family living together. The Grandmother listened to us, and we're set to go by them again.

One of the members from the ward who moved from Puerto Rico fed us the other day. He was quite amusing to listen to and he taught us about a native dessert there called flan de queso, which is basically a cheese cake tasting dessert. It was funny to hear him drop 's' sounds all over the place, especially when he said "pescado" (fish) which then turned into "pecado" (sin). He's going to make us cheese flan the next time we come by.

It's really cool to be in a trio working in this ward. Elder Bertelsen worked in this area once, and when I came from Austin to San Antonio, he saw me and we hugged for a good thirty seconds. I love that Elder, he really helped me when I struggled. He was excited to learn that he worked in Huebner Creek. In fact, some of his recent converts live there. I'll have to go pay them a visit.

Oh, and a bonus, some time ago Johnny and Christina got baptized in the Uvalde ward. Elder Downer sent me some pictures. Boy oh boy, things are going great.

Questions and Answers

What's new this week?  

Well, transfers and the new area. For those of you who do not know, my parents have a map of Texas at home, where they use pins and string to label the different places I go. It probably has a very interesting path now.

Are recent events in the world and the Church affecting your interactions with people?

Not terribly

What really did Elder Robbins say about simplicity?

He listed many ways that complication can weaken our spirituality. 

What has the Spirit taught you especially this week and how has it helped you?

I was so worried when I lost my wallet a few days ago. (Oh yes, this happened). When I prayed to ask for help to find it, I felt distinctly that I was not going to find it. I didn't what to believe that, so I searched and searched. Finally when I realized that that was indeed a prompting, I felt comfort that things would result ok.

How is Texas weather treating you?

Very mild. We're in for some smashing weather soon, I'd bet. It was funny, because my ipad said it would have a 95% chance of raining, and it didn't. I laughed with because of the chance that that would happen, but then I realized my app was still calibrated to Cedar Park. Then I realized again.

My new address:
6298 Lockhill Rd #704
San Antonio, TX
78240
Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment