Sunday, November 1, 2015

Eight Lives Left

Dear Loved Ones,

Time moves faster than I really would like it to. It seems just yesterday that I received Elder Tews as a companion, and just that same afternoon that I arrived in Uvalde, or that night that I went to sleep in the little house of Carrizo. I will not mention anything about my age, which I was thinking about because it was my birthday this week.

This weekend the community got some much anticipated rain upon itself. I cracked out the umbrella and coat for the first time in a while. Last winter we rode on bikes as cavalry. Maybe this year we will roll out in heavy artillery. A lady that we serve on occasion was very happy to have the rain. She had been hoping and praying for it at least since I got here.

I got a much needed haircut. Last week we had exchanges with Elder Garver and Elder Shields and Elder Clawson and Elder Hill. It was enjoyable to take Elder Hill's place because only a letter would change -- and a height change, voice change, and well, more than enough things got switched up.

Elder Garver taught me the blessings of having a good attitude. I've decided that I need to use the Book of Mormon more often since the exchange with Elder Clawson. Besides the flood of rain, we talked to many who are amiable.



Because the member feeding us this said it was a highlight to our missions, I thought I'd bring light to it -- we ate spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce. Spaghetti squash is this really weird squash that forms into little strands reminiscent of spaghetti. Supposedly healthier, clearly crunchier.

Elder Scroggs and I wanted to make the same dish a long time ago, but the price of the food didn't agree with our budget. Speaking of Elder Scroggs, I haven't heard from him in the longest time.  Some companionships simply do not stay in touch!

Questions and Answers

*Are y'all having 80's weather or still 90's? *

um, probably the 80's, but I'm not sure. It was quite cold as it rained, and it rained pretty much non-stop Friday to Saturday. Fall is finally setting in. The seasons don't really change all that much down here.
*If your blender is broken, how can you blend a smoothie- just really fast stirring for good exercise?   *

No, but we can order a new one. That'll happen as soon as I stop being lazy and place the call.

*As with other good people you have taught and served on your mission so far, Tony seems to be progressing at his own speed. It was good of him to babysit for the little ones, though- how are things with him?*

Well, we didn't see him whatsoever this past week. He's become increasingly difficult to get ahold of him. Maybe God is trying to teach me to be more earnest in my prayers for those we teach, and place more emphasis on them in my thought process.

*  How has the Spirit helped you in your teaching this week?  *

During the exchange in the Spanish area, it helped my Spanish to be understandable, and of a good help to my companion. Much of the preparation happens during our planning where we set alongside the help of the Spirit a plan of what we are going to teach. When we come to a decision in righteousness, we can have the promised guidance needed, whether the plan goes through or not.

*How are your Espanol studies going?   *

Fine enough I would imagine. I'm glad for the opportunity to study every day.

*A joke:*

Why did the Lamanites go hungry?  Because Moroni had all the plates.

Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment