Monday, October 20, 2014

Elder Tews' Recovery and New Companion(s)


Dear Family and Friends,

It seems to me that Elder Tews is doing quite fine. He transferred safely to an all-car area and his shoulder should be recovering well. I talked to him briefly over the phone and he is enjoying the work. I'll say it again though, I do miss him.

My new companion is named Elder Hernandez, and he is from Las Vegas. He's a convert to the church of just a few years, and the first missionary in his family. Of course every member can be a missionary, but he has a special opportunity to be set apart for the purpose of missionary work. He's a native from Mexico, but his English doesn't have a heavy accent. I'm excited that I have a great opportunity to learn more Spanish from him, and hopefully a few figures of speech as well.

He's a lot different than my last two companions. This transfer is his fourth transfer, meaning he just go into the mission a little bit before I did. As a result, neither of us had an excess of experience. I'm learning to be patient as he learns the area, and I have to take the lead in many circumstances. I pray that I can overcome our differences in mannerisms and serve him continually. I intend to build a great relationship with him in the time I have with him.
 

I didn't anticipate what exactly this week would bring. After Elder Tews left Windcrest, I received a new companion. This companion was feeling sick, and as a result he only served in Windcrest for two days. When he left, I went to work with the Zone Leaders of another zone as I waited for my current companion, Elder Hernandez. It was difficult to lead the way from appointment to appointment, and I didn't feel too adequate in my leading skills. Fortunately, however, I could feel the prayers of others holding me up during the week, and helping me to have a much more positive attitude than I would have under my own power alone.

That being said, this coming Thursday we are going to have another Zone Conference, and this time Elder Hamula of the Seventy will attend the conference. When we found out two weeks ago, he gave us a few chapters of the scriptures to study, and a chapter of Preach My Gospel. I absolutely loved these scripture assignments, and I found extra time to read these chapters. I especially like Alma 5:32-33, which exhorts us to "repent, repent, for the Lord God hath spoken it" but reminds us that if we "repent . . . [the Lord] will receive you." The Savior truly invites and commands us to repent, for it is the only way that we can be made clean. This brought me comfort.

Questions from Mom:

How are you and your new companion working together?

As best as we can. In his last area, he didn't use a bicycle, so this is a little bit of an adjustment.

What is his name and where is he from?

Elder Hernandez is from Las Vegas, and he tells me that his home has a great view of the temple there. Up to this point, I haven't had a single companion from the same state as another, and I haven't had a single one from Utah. He told me also that he was an avid soccer player back home.

Have you been able to invite anyone to see 'Meet the Mormons'?

No, not yet. I would like to however. The best invitations come from their neighbors and friends. We'll be sure to include it as we visit people, however.

How has knowing the Savior's touch in your life helped you as you've lived this week?

This week especially I felt like prayer was holding me up. It's been pretty difficult since Elder Tews has left. Because I know the love that the Savior has for me and all of his children, my purpose remains clear. I rely on the promises that Preach My Gospel gives, and on the promises of modern day prophets and those in the scriptures.

   What is the most important spiritual experience you've had this week?

Yesterday our whole mission fasted in preparation for Elder Hamula's visit. I felt lifted spiritually and received renewed strength to keep going.

Do the leaves in San Antonio change color?

Just a little bit. Most of the leaves are still green.

 

Questions from Dad,

Did Elder Tews need a sling and I trust you’ve since picked up a new battery for the bike light?

Elder Tews did have it in a sling afterwards, even though he doesn't in this next picture I'm sending. The batteries that the lights need are simple AA, so we replaced our batteries as soon as we got back. Elder Tew's light broke after the accident, however.

 
The gospel is true,
 
-Elder Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment