Monday, October 13, 2014

Another Wonderful Week in the TSAM


Good day to all, family, friends, etc.,

Glad to hear from everyone this week. From what I understand, lots and lots of things happened at home over the weekend, and I wish that you all will get well from any sickness you may have. I've recovered completely from my flu, so I know that you all will be well.

I was able to feel pure joy as my brother got married on Friday. Even though I wasn't there, this joy overcame some of my moody thoughts I had that morning.

 
Crazy weekend this week. Saturday evening, after Elder Tews and I had a lesson with someone and tried to visit some other members of the ward, we made our way home. The evenings have gotten darker, quicker here in Texas, so we traveled back to the apartment in the dark. As we biked, the batteries of our head lights on our bikes went dead. Turning our lights back on every 20 seconds or so to use what charge was left, we continued on our way when out of no where Elder Tews flipped over on his bike, sprawled out near the curb.  Neither Elder Tews nor I are sure exactly how he managed to fall, but it happened in mere seconds, and startled me. After lifting the bike off of him, we decided to go to the nearest home to ask for some help, and an indian family allowed us to use their front porch.The sister missionaries arrived soon afterward, and we took Elder Tews to the nearest ER. I waited with him as they took X-rays, and we eventually arrived home at about midnight. Elder Tews strained his shoulder during the accident and he'll take a while to recover. Luckily, we can still proselyte, but only in the car, at least until he recovers.

This opportunity provided me a great chance to serve my companion. It lifted my spirits to know that I could help him just as he helped me after my flu episode. As always, we serve God as we willingly serve others (Mosiah 3:19). Luckily, the injury was nothing that won't respond to proper rest and ice packs.

This Wednesday I had an exchange with Elder Hughes, one of my zone leaders along side Elder Pew. This would be my only exchange of the transfer. One of my favorite things about Elder Hughes is his creativity. He showed me many different ways that we can serve, without bending the rules to meet those ideas. On a different note, he is also a very good photographer.

 

We witnessed a mini miracle on Friday. We wanted to visit a member within the ward, so we went to a particular apartment complex that we hadn't visited often. We soon found out that we had the wrong address, and we had probably gone to visit in vain. But, as we left the apartment complex, a car pulls up and someone says, "Are you looking for someone to talk to?" We said yes, and in a few minutes we came into his apartment and talked with him. This meeting was hilarious because while I was excited to see what he already knew, he was casual about us meeting. Turns out that he had been taught by missionaries about a year ago, and he was interested in coming to church. It astounded me that we could be exactly where the Lord wanted us to be, and that previous efforts by missionaries were not at all wasted. We'll meet with Chris (the man we met) this week, and hopefully he'll be able feel the same way he did when missionaries taught him before. The Lord helps us to find those prepared in a multitude of different ways. :)

As I was watching the DVR of the Priesthood session from last week Pres. Uchdorf quoted 'to see ourselves clearly is the beginning of wisdom.' What can we do to better see ourselves clearly?

This week I will pray more actively for the members of Windcrest and the people we are teaching. As I helped Elder Tews in little ways, I was able to find strength and wisdom to better take care of myself. I can see myself more clearly as I seek not to judge others harshly, or to focus on their faults. This helps me to notice those faults that I have, and better tend to them.

How has the wise council from conference helped you the most this week?

A few of the bretheren and sisters talked about the importance of the Sacrament. This helped me to hold Sacrament meeting with more reverence. I liked Elder Hamula's words in particular, that the Sacrament has many important emblems.

How has conference helped your new converts?

Sister Johnson loved conference. Another family that moved into the ward brought their non-member friend to Priesthood meeting. Because the apostles and prophets have the authority to preach the gospel, hearing their words benefits us beyond their public speaking ability.
What story did you enjoy most in conference?

Elder Bednar's story about his two sons was my favorite to hear. I also liked Elder Uchtdorf's analogy of the man who noticed the single dandelion on his neighbor's lawn, but ignored the many on his. They both illustrated interesting principles.
Are you getting any fall weather?

Yes, it is getting much cooler now. We had a lot of rain Saturday morning, and I'm starting to feel a little cold in the evenings. Time to buy a sweater.

-Elder Hall

P.S. The Gospel is true.

Holding the ties with my brother's wedding colors in them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment