Monday, August 4, 2014

Elder Scroggs Transfer

Hello everyone!

My my, what a packed week. During transfer calls this Sunday, I discovered that my companion Elder Scroggs will leave this area. I will miss him for sure, but I am happy that he gets to experience another area in this wonderful mission. I will stay here in Windcrest. On Thursday my new companion will also fulfill the role of trainer as well. It surprised me to learn that Elder Scroggs will become a zone leader in whatever Zone he goes to. It also seems that the rest of the companionship in this district will still be sister companionship.

 Windcrest, you haven't seen the last of me quite yet!
(No need to post this paragraph on the blog) I loved writing hand written letters from time to time. Unfortunately, I don't have addresses for anyone except my parents. Please feel welcome to share your addresses so that I can write to each of y'all and your families.

Another bike wreck. This one, was fairly less traumatic. As I turned a corner on our way to visit some people, I slipped on some sand and fell over. This time, I didn't rip a pair of slacks, and I made fairly little noise. It was humorous because the fall caused my front wheel and the handle bars to go a bit crooked, so when I got up and continued, the crooked nature of the bike caught my attention immediately. A few days later we fixed it. Until then, I got a good laugh every time I mounted my bike.

This Friday Elder Scroggs went to a leadership meeting of some kind. While he was gone, I paired up with Elder Hendericks in Windcrest.  We had studies together, we planned for our lessons of the day together, and after lunch we went out. This experience gave me a chance to stretch myself and lead. Honestly, I was afraid to lead. Leaning on my own confidence, I felt bad every time I perceived I made a mistake. We did have great success. We even set an appointment to met with someone this week.

Yesterday as we visited various people, we met a young black kid who made me smile. As we made and received a few calls, he approached us and we began talking to him. He had never met missionaries before, and at one point he asked, "Are y'all homeless?" I answered in my mind, "Not really." If we ever visit his neighborhood again, we might find him. He wasn't too excited to invite us over to his house, which I understand.
On Saturday, we went over to a part-member home and helped them move some sand into their sandbox. After that, we had steak with their family. This steak was huge. The biggest steak I've ever seen in my life, let alone eaten. Wow.

Questions!

We have, surprisingly, gotten some rain in the past week and have more on the way- Are you getting much rain, or is it humid and hot and no rain?
No rain this week. I'm told that August is the worst month in Texas as far as heat goes. I can't remember which day it was, but one afternoon the heat was considerably hotter than the others. I can expect the heat to rise, giving me energy. Not too much rain, but it'll be here eventually.

 Are you excited about the thought of a transfer, or do you wish you can stay a bit longer at  Windcrest?
Well, I'm excited at the idea of a new companion, but I will miss Elder Scroggs. I have a feeling that this transfer will stretch me in different ways that this transfer with Elder Scroggs. Usually trainees keep their trainer for the 12 weeks that they train, but it'll be different for me. I'll need to take initiative for a while as my new companion adjusts to new streets, people, ward stuff etc.

 Have you had any opportunities for service projects in your area?
Just a little. Saturday evening Elder Scroggs and said hello to a latino family that sat on their driveway. One of them was changing two tires on their car. While Elder Scroggs talked to the oldest father, I helped the one who worked on the tire. I want to serve in other ways this next week, and I'm sure as I pray for the opportunities I will find more.

How have the scriptures helped you in your work this week?
Wow, I love this question. I'll answer it next week too.
In our first lesson this week with Ed and Diego, we read Mosiah 2: 1- 21 with them. This scripture helped display some of the teachings we receive from prophets. While before my mission I knew the scriptures were important, now I understand more fully that the scriptures will change the people we teach more than philosophy related to scriptures will. Ed and Diego committed to come to church this Sunday, which is exciting.

As separation "makes the heart grow fonder," I truly believe that prayer will bring us closer.

-Elder Hall
A picture of Elder Scroggs and I passed out in the back seat. This picture is from the beginning of our transfer together.


No comments:

Post a Comment