Sunday, March 6, 2016

Every Member a Fruit Fly

Texas howdy y'all!

I'm not sure if that made any sense whatsoever. The work is progressing as it should, but we still can't get V to church. It can be one of the most patient growing invitations that we extend as missionaries, because sometimes it just takes a long time for people to step into a church for the first time. It's much easier for those of us who have attended since we were little and also much easier for those of us who have been members for a long time. Sometimes we are both. She told us Saturday afternoon that she was going to go on a technology fast on Sunday. Apparently she and her husband have a deal that they each (or just her, not sure) will go 24 hrs a month with no Facebook, cell phone or TV usage. She asked for the address and said she would be there. . . . And then she wasn't. Well, she'll make it eventually. She needs love, not criticism. We all do, right?

For lunch I mixed myself some protein thick cereal and a fruit fly emerged out of nowhere. Do they have teleportation technology or something? They spawn as it seems from thin air. As I frustratingly swatted it away from my food, I came up with an analogy similar to that of one of our past prophets: "every member a missionary (bird dogger)." I thought, "Every member needs to be like a fruit fly. Whenever they find someone who needs the gospel, they need to buzz around them like they were a piece of fruit. No need to gather it, just let the missionaries serve them up, and then enjoy the blessings of fellowshipping them. Or the fruit can be the gospel, and everyone should know where the fruit is, because the members will be all over it." Now to come up with an analogy surrounding mosquitos -- nope, definitely not. Nothing good can come of a mosquito. P.S. Fruit flies in late February?! Come on Texas!

In our zone conference President Slaughter talked a lot about faith, and related us to the six or so lectures on faith that were included in the early "book of commandments," one of the ancestors of the doctrine of covenants. These lectures were sent to the early missionaries to take with them on their journeys. It's really interesting that of all the things Joseph could have lectured on, he chose faith. Not baptism, not the restoration, not the plan of salvation, but faith. It kind of told me something interesting. Because I took my iPad in again to get some problems fixed under the warranty, I had to take notes with ye-olde paper and pen, and read from me-olde scriptures. I'll type them up again eventually.

Speaking of copying things, I'm struggling getting my digital journal back into my paper edition. It seems that I type a whole lot faster than I write, so if every day I write in my digital one for five minutes and copy old writings for five minutes, the hare is clearly beating the turtle. It's hard to make time to copy anymore, 'cause there are plenty of things to wind down with every night. Well, I guess I just need to put some overtime in the "copy room" during lunch each day, or something.

In other news this Friday we had the opportunity (whoops, I almost wrote "oportunidad,") to go on exchanges with a priest from another ward. Carter participated with us because of the "missionary week" that was happening this week. Other priests and laurels that are about to graduate went with other missionaries in the stake and other stakes, but only those from this stake did it. I have officially had a mini missionary with me. We taught a few people that night, of whom I'll talk about, and we had an enjoyable time. My only regret is that we didn't get a picture together. He did not stay overnight as many of them did, but he was scheduled to come with us the next day too. But then he texted us and reported he had a school project that he needed to work on the rest of the day. It hadn't occurred to me that it might happen, and so I didn't take the picture before. Well, just imagine a tall oldest sibling with nicely styled missionary appropriate hair with a kill testimony and willingness to shoot on sight (said testimony).

We taught A again about the restoration and before we offered, he asked for a copy of the Book of Mormon. That was cool. C explained how he studied both the bible and the Book of Mormon to finally figure out if his parents' faith would remain his as well. Then we visited A and W, some less active members in the ward, who I think I talked about in a prior email, but may not have. We've wanted to help them attend church and they finally did yesterday, but only for sacrament meeting.

We've also been working with William Jr. and his girlfriend Debbie. They both have a lot of trials, and we are looking to help them attend church. Debbie has a hard time walking, so we are brainstorming ways that we can help them get there. Debbie is not a member, but William is. The tricky part is we could get William to attend easy, but he wouldn't want to leave Debbie behind, and nor would we.

In addition we finally caught up with P and B and B. So, it would seem that they didn't quite understand the invite to be baptized. He's been reading and he is super respectful, but we didn't do our job to help them understand the commitment they made. So we'll re-establish expectations, and later extend another date, hoping that their full intent is to keep the date. Also, we have no idea if B or B are reading, as we only talked with Pat a little bit yesterday. His neighbors, who are members, are working on inviting him and us for dinner one night, and later to do some family history stuff as part of a "family home evening" thingy magic. It was going to be tonight but they were busy.

Things are spiffy. Also, yesterday one of the members of the ward brought one of his interns that was about the age of and knew his son pretty well. Kyle, was his name, stayed for all three hours without seemingly a single complaint. He enjoyed the classes and sacrament meeting, but alas, he will go to the singles ward and be with Elder Reimschussel and Elder Black. Oh, did I mention Elder Black is my zone leader? Well, he is. It's kind of fun to have that plug available to us. Not that I'd do anything scandalous with it.

Questions and Answers

How are things going in the work with all of your people (V, R, P, A, T and any others)?    

We couldn't meet with R and he was out of town this weekend. We'll continue to keep working with him as we can.

As for T, well, he blatantly dropped us. Last week, we asked how his reading was going. He said, paraphrasing, "I read a few pages. It strikes me too similar to the bible. So many people have their own interpretation of that book that they blindly follow, and each equally emphatically claims their interpretation correct over all others. I don't want to become like those that mindlessly follow a book written many years ago. Thank you for your support, but we are going to find another way to raise our children to be more giving and caring." We tried to re-invite him to adjust his expectations, read and pray, but he didn't answer. Well, he'll come about one day. I'm super glad he was honest about his thoughts. If he wasn't, we could spend several times trying to visit them, and waste both his family's and our time.

Where is Elder Mackay from again, and is he about your age?

I do believe so. I'd have to ask to double check. His family is originally from Canada, but he moved to Utah about four years before he left for the mission. Oddly enough, he is here in Texas on a visa. Those Canadians. . . . haha, just kidding. Nothing wrong with where you are from.

Have you seen any bluebonnets yet?  

I think I have identified the number one problem with my inability to spot them. I have no idea what they look like. I would suppose they look blue. And maybe slightly resembling a bonnet. Dad, or somebody, feel free to send me a picture. I'd search it on google images, but we aren't allowed to do it. Plus, you never know with google images when someone decides to relate "bluebonnet" with some skimpy outfit or whatever. Goodness, where is this world headed?

How is your Espanol with Elder Hansen going?

Muy bien. Hemos estado hablando lo mucho posible cada día, aunque él probablemente habla más que yo. ¿Pues, no es competición, no? Voy a intentar mejor, entonces.

Very good. We have been speaking Spanish as much as possible every day, although he probably speaks more than I do. It isn't a competition, is it? I'm going to try harder, anyways.

Why is cactus your favorite plant and turtles your favorite kind of animal?

I admire the perseverance of a turtle in the face of all the flack it gets daily for being a slow, boring animal. It doesn't matter how many times it gets thrown about, it just gets into its shell for a bit, pops right out, and keeps moving on. Plus, any animal that looks cool dressed up as a ninja has got to be awesome, right?

As for the cactus, I'm not sure. Cactus just is there. They are just in it. They know style, and substance. They hold onto the water of life, and they are frugal with it. They flourish in the climates that send raining fiery terror upon many other types of life. They don't take trash from anyone. A cactus is the way of life. Cactus is the future. Vote Cactus!

 How has the Lord's Spirit supported and guided your work this week?

You would not believe how bummed out I was yesterday. We just struck out time after time. Finally as the night comes into play, we go to H's house to share a message as per our appointment, and he says in Spanish, "Look guys, I just got home from work and my wife and I are exhausted. Could you try by again another day. Oh, and I just bought that old trailer sitting in the front. It's a little rustic, but I should be able to get to church next week." I contained my gratitude for answered prayers, and Elder Hansen only barely managed to hold onto it. We congratulated him for his work, and we told him we would come with the Sister missionaries from the Spanish ward, and then they would continue to visit him. And all the while, mariachi music is playing at full blast in his neighbor's house. Such a classic Spanish scene. I felt that was a miracle and a pick me up. About a week before, Elder Hansen and I discussed what we should do to help him to get to church. Elder Hansen seemed to think we should encourage him to quit his job. I had felt before that in time, he would make the money need to get the trailer. It was an answer to my prayer and a blessing of peace for my companion that he finally was able to get what he needed.

Virtual hug!
--
-Elder Hall
Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment