Sunday, March 6, 2016

Cleaning Under the Rug

Dear everyone and anyone to whom this may apply to, except zombies,

As the title would suggest, I finally figured out how to empty my ipad of photos and put them onto a thumb drive. Then for the first time ever I will be able to back up my ipad using icloud and prepare to take my ipad in again to get looked at. I took a pretty good risk last time by not backing it up. Hopefully nothing happens anyway.

We'll also do our very best to clean out the apartment for a special occasion. No, not inspection. And no, not because it is p-day. Instead, this friday we should be receiving a mini-missionary, a priest from one of the wards in the stake who will go on splits with us and stay over night. Not quite as long as the mini missionaries who during the summer would stay for an entire week, but it'll still be a fun opportunity. We'll show them what the TSAM is like, and then they'll never want to be called anywhere else. I bet my TSAM pride is showing on my sleeve. Anyway, I'm excited. Elder Drennan entered the missionary and served his first week with Elder Masters with a mini missionary. That was in Barton Creek ward, one of our neighbors here in the area. 

V is doing a little bit better. We caught her on Friday and taught her a short visit. She was excited to come to church, and recommitted to be baptized again, or rather she recommitted again (not wanting any confusion here) to be baptized on the 26th. Cross your fingers! But wait, no don't do that. That's pagan. Instead, cross your arms and pray hard. I'm really hoping her husband, Dennis, engages and starts to attend with her. He is already a member, you see, and he did not want to sit in with us that Friday. We were cordial about it, but he was quite adamant. "Is that a challenge?" Heh, prayer will soften his heart if he is ready. 

R is doing great. They fed us some great food, and the leftovers lasted a good few days, look at my creation:


I took Hawaiian sweet rolls and filled the hole of two bagles. Then I put Pad That on the bagel and sprinkled it with soy sauce and the famous sweet mango Jamaican hot sauce. Delicious. Quite filling too.

As we talked to the Bishop about him, he said that Richard tends to dig deeper as he goes on. He really is an intelligent man, and Bishop recommended that we answer his questions as best as we can. We want him to keep going strong because in addition to his spiritual intellect, he would be a great priesthood holder in the ward. And while Carrizo probably needs more of those that his ward does, definitely every ward needs more. 

I went on exchanges with Elder Mackay again. We gave a church tour to one of their progressing investigators who had a dream and was told she needed to attend church. She subsequently quit her job and prepared herself to attend, I would assume it happened, yesterday. She is a sweet soul in trying circumstances and her 8 er 9 year old son is too. She wanted to be baptized, she said, but felt that May was a good time. We silently yelled in our heads, "NOOOO. . ." If she wants the comfort of the holy ghost, it should be much sooner than that. Of course, most people don't understand the significance of it at first. She had some things that she felt she needed to repent for, some things that weren't even her fault. But the Marble Falls elders have it taken care of.

Then I was feeling mischievous and I took time to draw several cactus people on individual sticky notes with a quote and a name for each cactus. I left a note Elder Greene's desk that said: "it's not easy being a Cactus. But having friends helps! Find all 22+ Cactus friends!" And then I proceeded to hide them everywhere I could. I put some in the fridge. I put some in his books, his bed, his ties, just about anywhere I could get my crazy little mind to think of. Last I check he found about 35 of them. I lost count after 22 and can't remember how many I made. See, you can still be goofy on a mission. But there is a time and a place. While at home and at your companion, or another missionary.

Then yesterday we dropped by P and his family. Another family in the ward referred him to us some time ago and we set an appointment. The visit fell through and it had been a while since we last connected with him. But we stopped by at random and he let us in and we taught the restoration. Later into it his teenage daughter Bridget showed up and sat down. His wife was busy eating in the kitchen so we did miss her. They seemed to understand things pretty well, and they accepted an invitation to read, pray, come to church, and be baptized. I was pretty astonished with how open they were. I concluded that they might not understand completely, and it might be important to teach some things over again, but we are not going to throw away what God has helped us to find. I'm just praying it isn't too good to be true. That happens sometimes. We had a successful week overall.

And earlier that week we found A. He was set to be married some time ago but the engagement broke off, and he felt bitter and sadness about it. A member who came with us explained some of the benefits of the church, and helped to correct some misconceptions A had. He did admit he was looking for a church, and that he felt like we came to him at just the right time. That's pretty cool, I think. We'll see where he goes.

Just giddy here in Texas. Elder Hansen and I have gotten to be good friends. I'm still hoping and hoping some more that I get the chance to train another missionary. Elder Downer was great, but I had to share him with Elder Bertelsen. Well, I definitely need to be grateful for whatever it is that I get. 

I also got a hair cut just a little bit ago:


You'll notice the oil container there. I got it from Elder Greene and found that since I don't carry the car keys it's easy to hang it off of a button. I tuck it in and then it always stays with me.

A mission is like good bluebell ice cream. You are always worried you'll run out, but you need to enjoy every bite.  

How are things going with R his family and V and T and his family?  

I totally spaced T. So we brought a member of the ward who speaks spanish too, and we had a visit with the parents. Couldn't nab the kids. We read the introduction to the book of Mormon, and Theodore's big concern was, "If I am a good person and I believe in Christ, why should I need to go to church?" We slightly addressed it and pounded on the importance of knowing the Book of Mormon is true. After all, everything hangs in connection to the book, all truth or all lies.

And have you been able to communicate with D again?     

Not his week. The member that came with us has been keeping in contact a little, and we figured he'd need some more time, just based on his situation. He should be to church one of these days though.

Have you anymore interesting pranks to report this week? 

I can't remember if I reported all of them so far. I have a good one planned this week. It involves a fan, and a bunch of bottle caps. Stay tuned for details.

 Are you getting rain around there ?

We got just a little bit yesterday. I was glad we didn't bike.

How have ward members assisted you and Elder Hansen in your work this week?    

Well, we had some fantastic visits with all sorts of people this week. Members connect a lot better than we do. I don't know if you share this opinion, but at times people in white shirts can be intimidating. Have you noticed that?

In what ways have you felt the Savior's love for you this week?

I felt keenly inspired with something, but I can't remember the moment freshly anymore. We did do service for a member last week. The other elders and we have been building a thin metal shed for her, and this Friday we went by ourselves. She expressed how grateful she was for us, seeing as her home teachers really didn't do their jobs. Home (visiting) teaching matters people, it touches lives. We essentially do it every day that we visit a member to teach them. I felt her gratitude resonate in me for a little bit. I'll need to search my journal for the other moment.

And how has the Spirit guided you this week?

In lessons, yes, but also in my relationship with my companion. We have butted heads on a few little things in the past few weeks, but I found a way to talk about something else personal. I felt the Spirit guide me to give the proper correction that need to happen, and remove the enmity.


Loving the mission life right now. I might crash when I get home. 


More food pictures!



OMNOMNOM.


Ciao!
  
Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment