Sunday, March 13, 2016

Christ's Atonement: Surpassing Affordable Spiritual Cleanser; Don't Go Through Life Without It

Hello Everyone of value in my life, and others of still infinite value,

Today we took our car through an automatic car wash. We decided to get a monthly pass that allows us to wash the car infinitely within this month. It was sprinkling a little when we arrived, but we took it in to wash anyway. We'll be able to take it again before Zone Meeting this week, to make sure it is extra-special clean. The car wash ended, just for more rain to dust our car and make it just a little dirty. The wash is very much on a level endlessly lower than Christ's sacrifice. What He cleans, stays that way.

This week my iPad has spent much time in intensive care. So I took it in again to take advantage of the warranty, as a few things were off with it: loose home button, some dirt stuck under the screen, and a couple of other things. I dropped it off last p-day, and got it again on Wednesday after our district meeting. A few things were fixed, but a couple of other problems were made. The inside of the screen wasn't clean, so it was akin to having a double layer window with gunk stuck in between that you can't reach. So again I dropped it off on Thursday, gave a call to the office on Saturday, and found out it still wasn't ready. I went iPad-less for the first Sunday ever since I got it in the first place. When we dropped by today, we found out that the man in chard of ipad mini repairs still hadn't taken it in. Looks like I'm going to go without it for a little more. *sigh*. Another thing that doesn't stay fixed.

A variety of successes came this week. On Saturday V came with a member and us and toured the church building. Her little granddaughter was in love with taking pictures -- she took pictures of paintings of Christ, of rooms, of the hallways, and we frequently slowed down to let the little girl catch up. V was committed to coming to church. Then the unthinkable happened. On Sunday, Dennis, her husband, woke up not feeling too good, and that confined her to home with him. *Luke Skywalker "no!"* So close. She is pretty committed, but so is the adversary in giving her things to jump over. Well, next week for sure. FOR SURE. FOR. STORMING. SURE. (When I get frustrated, that's the word I use. "That storming traffic light!"). So we are going to have a family home evening with her and another family in the ward, and we are going to help her progress a little closer to baptism. It's going to happen. The question is only, in a month, or two. Just kidding. I believe it's soon, but I really have not the agency to say exactly when.

What else happened this week?

Saturday was a funny day. We came home and cooked ourselves some dinner. This past week, we didn't have any ward families sign up to feed us, so we had plenty of dinners together. Elder Aguila and Elder Smith were also cooking, as their dinner canceled. It was actually the first dinner we have ever shared the apartment for. Anyways, we cooked some sausage, and whatever, and afterwards, Elder Hansen kept grabbing more foods. You should know, Elder Hansen can eat. At first I felt it wasn't a problem, but then I started to worry. I said, "Elder, it's not healthy to eat so fast you can't tell when you are full." He responded we didn't have time to wait for things like that. I continued to (overzealously) counsel him not to eat so much, adding that the Word of Wisdom adds not only what not to take in, but also to take in moderate amounts of food. Or at least I think. Don't quote me on that idea. He later seemed to agree. But that isn't where it gets funny. Please. I have a sense of humor.

So we walked down a street that we had had plenty of work to do, and we pass by a duplex where J, a single mother lived. She had talked to us for a little bit and pointed us to another person we could visit. That day we had visited that person, and a few persons that that person had pointed us to, and that was part of the purpose why we passed by on Saturday, to catch some other people that were down that chain of referrals. We pass by the other half of the duplex, and a lady bringing some things out of her car calls out, "you guys seem to walk this road a lot." I silently replied in my head that we did. She in turn invited us to her half of the backyard to have some dinner with her and her kids, and eventually J's family showed up too. We learned that J's neighbor was named S, and that her best friend growing up was a Mormon. She asked us a few questions about the word of wisdom, and the temple, and she seemed to accept the answers, not simply hear them. After a second dinner, we taught them the restoration. S was indeed the most interested of them, but J did stick around, distractedly joining her kids efforts to clean the yard of leaves every once in a while, which S explained was common for J. They accepted the invitation to read the Book of Mormon, though they have their own home churches. Who would have thought we would randomly get invited to a stranger's picnic dinner? Elder Hansen took that as a sign that maybe he did grab too much food, but I refrained from echoing "I told you so."

Rain has entered the realm around here. I'm surprised. It's been so hot, and now the weather is morphing. Make up your mind, Texas, what season are you?!

I'm thinking of buying a hoodie to commemorate my time here in Lake Travis, by buying something with the local high school logo or whatever. But I might wait a little bit. I'm not leaving quite yet. I'm not going home yet. I'm not going home yet.

Questions and Answers

So, how are H and his wife, and V , and and P and B and B, and W, Jr and D, and A?   
(Apologies, my blog master will shorten all those names to an initial.)

V: (See Above)

H: We had a successful hand-off and now he is being taught by the Sister Missionaries. We attended a lesson on the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the sisters and their ward mission leader. He seems to understand baptism, and we talked to their young son who is old enough to be baptized about baptism too. We still haven't met his wife, and he missed church this week though he was committed to come. Next week then.

P & OTHERS: No chance to catch them this week. He's retired, but pretty busy. We did talk to his wife and him for a little bit when we tried by, and he has been reading. He's still technically not investigating, however, because we haven't been able to get another appointment scheduled. The same family that invited V for a FHE tonight was planning on doing a FHE-dinner-Family History thing, but they are still getting ahold of a time that works for all of them. They'll make it to baptism eventually, they may need more time than I anticipated.

W & D: They are reading the Book of Mormon together, finally, as we were able to get ahold of a large print Book of Mormon in the mission office when we visited on Tuesday. Still might be a little of a struggle to get them to church, but they are on their way.

A: Really busy lad. Since taking his new job, they have been putting him to work like crazy, as the business is still short on staff. He wants to read and come to church, but he said that it will probably be several days before he can go at a concerted effort at both.

Funny thing, when we followed up with J and S's reading, we visited a house on the same street to ask about their neighbor, who was supposedly a member of the church. Another J answered, and we taught the Restoration in Spanish. It is kind of hard to see if he really understood authority, as he took to heart, probably more than any non-member that I have ever met before, the concept of "One faith, one Lord, one baptism." He believes that his baptism was valid, though he wasn't sure where the authority came from. He has the makes of a budding testimony. And what's better, is if he progresses, then the Spanish Sister Missionaries will have another family in the somewhat immediate area to work with. It'll make their miles a little more worth the use, I hope.

Also, is this week transfer week?

No. So because of the extra 7 week transfer, we get the information in two weeks from today.

Have you noticed any flowers on the road way? 

Actually, I saw a flock of Bluebonnets grazing the freshly fallen sunlight. I was so glad that the other elders pointed them out to me. We were on our way to district meeting, which is in Marble Falls don't you know, and there was some on our way into town to the side.

How is your car doing this week? 

It feels really nice and shiny, as we waxed it last week. Softer than a baby's bottom, if a baby were made out of the same metal that a Corolla is. By the way, we named the car Cora. I mean, who wants to waste their time saying a three syllable word when they can shorten it? You can now call me "Eld' 'all."  Just kidding. Don't call me that.

On Tuesday morning, we drove both Cora and "Shelby," the Chevy Cruise, and took them to San Antonio. Seeing as Shelby was overdue for being sold, we finally took it in. I didn't shed too much tears, but I thought I could have gotten a cheesy picture with Shelby. I hope "Lola," my car back home doesn't get too jealous. But wait, she's a CAR. CARS don't get jealous.

Did you get to use your bikes this week? 

We tried SO hard to use them this week, but every day we put them on the back of the car, either weather, timing, or logistics didn't agree with us. Hello? Clouds? Can you cry less?

In what ways has the Lord sent his loving Spirit to help you this week?

As for the logistics of Spirit transportation, I have no idea how he "sends" the Spirit to us. Sorry, I'm a little bit of a smart alec aren't I? Well, my patience bubble was about to burst on Sunday. The natural man wanted to blame others that V couldn't make it to church. But I paused, swallowed my pride, and said a silent prayer for D. The Spirit has helped me in a multitude of other ways. For some reason, I just haven't been getting enough sleep at night, and during morning studies, I frequently almost-kind-of-fall-asleep or at least close my eyes for inordinate amounts of time. I had this problem back in Windcrest, but it seems to be coming back. I'm finding creative ways to stay awake (like smiling like a madman the whole time or scratching my pinkie with my thumb), and relying on the Lord for grace and mercy. Ugh. It's embarrassing to fall asleep in school, but on the mission, I can just imagine God looking down and muttering under his breath, "You have got to be kidding me, Elder Hall? Can't you stay awake reading the words of eternal life? Fine, send a prompting to his companion to poke him in the ribs."
  ___
< O-O>
     \--\
A Picture of Yoda. My iPad had a bad time taking quality pictures that day.

Best of happiness to you all,
Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment