Monday, August 24, 2015

Wonderful Week, Wonderful People

Dear everyone, family, friends, and anyone.

First off, I've come to love Carrizo Springs more and more each day. The branch here is precious, and the people are sincere in their desires to lead good lives. Yesterday we had a new member move into the area, and he is the first member of his family to join the church. At first his parents were not happy about his decision, but after time they become more tolerant of, and eventually supporting in his desires to attend seminary and church meetings. I was happy to get to know him.

Elder Craner gave a talk in Sacrament meeting, and I enjoyed listening to it. He has gained additional confidence in this transfer, and I can tell his love for the people is growing. He will be able to continue to show is love for the people of Carrizo Springs, and I will meet new people and gain more friends in a new area. I'm getting transferred. I was surprised to learn I would be here for only a transfer, but I trust the Lord knows where I need to go to become more Christ-like.

This past week we met a man named Gerardo. He works as a handyman, and is a very endearing person. We were able to help him move, and he let us share a copy of the Book of Mormon and talk about it. We were also excited when he was able to attend church, and feel the spirit that is present there. I hope he continues to progress.

We had a lightning storm in the area earlier in the week, and we've also gotten a tiny bit of rain. Carrizo Springs can use the rain. The heat has consistently stayed over 100 degrees every day, but I feel more adjusted to the heat.

Sometimes I wish that I could write this weekly letter in Spanish. After a zone meeting earlier this week, I gained yet another reason to like the Spanish language:

The zone meeting was held almost completely in Spanish. I felt comfortable with my understanding of Spanish. Towards the end of the meeting, Elder Evans and Elder Christensen told us that we need to bury our weapons of war in order to be consecrated to the the Lord. All of a sudden Elder Christensen turned a chalk board around, with a weapon written in bold letters, "ENGLISH." From that point, they invited us to give up our English completely and to speak our mission language everyday, all day with our companions. I realized that I had been speaking far too much English with Elder Craner, and although I had made improvements, I giving my all.



Even though I am leaving Carrizo and the border zone, I will continue to speak Spanish with everyone who can speak Spanish. This will be hard, but I know that the Lord expects much of me. I will begin to speak Spanish as if it were my native language. Please follow up with me and ask how I have enjoyed speaking Spanish throughout the day.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Is it getting even hotter around where you working?

August is a hot month. It is getting hotter, but the recent rain has helped out.

It seems you have lots of changes often, does that help you focus on your work and service?

Changes help me to leave my comfort zone, which usually means I will have more opportunities to grow. I've notice that when I resist change, I don't adjust nearly as well as if I accept the changes. Working in a branch, using Ipads in our work efforts, a new companion, serving near the boarder, and many other new things have helped me to learn and grow this transfer.

I got excited to come to Carrizo as I first came here weeks ago. Changes do help me to get excited, and they remind me that the Lord trusts me enough to send those changes.

How are the people around you doing?   
The community is surviving the heat well. People seem to survive the week, and families are preparing to send their kids to school again. Has it really been an entire school year since I left for the Texas San Antonio Mission? Time goes too fast.

How does knowing that our prayers are with you and for you and your companion missionaries help you?

It reminds me of the support and love coming from home. Thank you all for your prayers. During this transfer, I felt buoyed up by the prayers of others.

What funny or happy thing came your way this week?

We met Gerardo about a week ago, but we visited him for the first time this week. It struck me hard that meeting Gerardo had less to with us, and more to do God's promise to put prepared people in our path. It also reminded me that this is God's work. We do our very best to find those prepared to learn about Jesus' restored Gospel, and our success is small. Then God puts someone like Gerardo in our path seeming to say, "thank you for your great effort. Talk to Gerardo, he is ready."

The more I strive to forget myself and do God's will, the more I realize that I am privileged to see the Savior gather His people. I am privileged to participate in His divine work!

How is the water tasting?

Great! We don't drink tap water down here. Every 5 days or so we refill our 5 gallon water cooler jug, and we also buy water bottles every week.

--
-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment