Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Diligence Through Increasing Heat

Dear family, friends, others,

A little bit of a difficult week here in Carrizo Springs. The weather is getting hotter, luckily I am more accustomed to it after a having survived it once. Drinking plenty of water seems to do the best in helping me stay at a healthy temperature.

We're striving to continually find new people to share the gospel with, but sadly we haven't met a few of the people that we met with most consistently. We saw Brother Moreno a few times, but we only talked to him briefly. Janette was not interested in hearing more. As for Rose, we simply weren't able to find her at home.

So instead of focusing on the instances when people are not home or aren't interested, we're looking for other people who are ready to receive the gospel.

We have had the opportunity to get to know members of the branch who are new to the area. A few nights ago we had dinner with Cody and Chelsea, who moved here from Utah recently. We enjoyed the taco soup served in green peppers almost like chile relleno.

Yesterday, we had an interesting thing occur. Our branch president was out of town, which is something that he had warned us about before and we knew would happen. However, after we got to church, only two other priesthood holders showed up for priesthood hour. Then time for Sacrament Meeting came, and none of the members of the branch presidency were there. So with little warning, Elder Craner, the elder's quorum president and I prepared for sacrament meeting, and I directed it with little preparation except what I have seen during Sacrament Meetings of the past. We ended a little bit early, and I was reminded of how blessed we are to have an organized church.

I'm learning to manage stress in new ways. Since coming to Carrizo, I've learned that the miracles that God performs are sometimes subtle. We need to look for them and treasure them when we see them. Prayer has been a near constant source of comfort during the difficult moments of the day, and I know that God hears our prayers. His answers, when they come and they do indeed come, will help us to come closer to God.

Questions and Answers

Are you still always spending some time studying EspaƱol every working morning?  

Almost every day we have an hour to spend studying Spanish. On days that we have district meeting, and occasionally on Sundays or Mondays we won't have time set apart to study Spanish. We still have the opportunity to speak it throughout the day.


I would still like to know if you've seen any armadillos- if they happen by in your journeys as you work- so have you?  

Only ones that have fallen victim to moving vehicles. I haven't seen any live ones.

There are some lizards that climb up onto the outside of or bathroom window every evening. Because the light attracts the bugs, those lizards have a great opportunity to feast. It makes me smile to see at least one lizard every evening.

And how has the Spirit comforted you this week?

I sat down one day at lunchtime on our couch and few exhausted. As I sat there, the idea came into my head to take out "Adjusting to Missionary Life" and read from it. I didn't find anything that stood out at first, until I found a page that had a few scriptures listed that were shared to help us find peace. As I read through those scriptures, and used the footnotes to find more, I felt a renewed sense of hope. This is the Savior's work.

Keep going forward everyone. I love you all very much.

--
-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment