Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Grateful that God is Greater than we are

Dear family, friends, and others,

The heat is consistent down here, and so is the work. I'm feel grateful to be a missionary right now, as I've come to notice that this is the Lord's work, and not ours. A moment that I realized this was as we talked with Gus.

Over the past few weeks we've met with Gus and Melisa. They have a wonderful big family, and they've been reading from the Book of Mormon. Gus is a humble man and a great example to his family. We were meeting with him the other day and we talked about his family, and desires he has for his family. As we read from the BoM with him, I had an opportunity to share a part of the introduction that has impacted me. It was the part where Joseph Smith declared that the Book of Mormon is the most correct book. After reading it, I could tell that Gus felt the Spirit testify of it, and of Jesus Christ. They way that I shared it was so simple, and I realized that it wasn't my eloquence that invited Spirit. I also realized how little I am in this process. God gave me an opportunity to give this time in service, and that I need to treasure every moment that I have.

This week I went on an exchange with Elder Tingey in Eagle Pass. Because their area is a bike area, we rode our bikes that day. I missed my bike quite a lot. It was a blessing to be able to get more exercise as we went from place to place, and there weren't very many hills to climb. Another great blessing was that my old bike was in working condition, and the chain only came off once. It was an easy fix, and we were back on the bikes again. In the afternoon we found a couple that Elder Jackson and Elder Tingey had served a few days earlier. The lady had many questions about missionaries, the Book of Mormon, and a few other things. She asked questions at several miles an hour. It helped raise my faith that the Lord prepares people to hear His Gospel.

We were glad to have our branch president back this past Sunday. A few people from the branch will be moving out in the next few weeks, so we'll likely have fewer people.

Some fun pics:

Me and Elder Christensen

In case we forget where we are, we can always look up!

 
The lizards on our apartment window.  Is there a Sac. Meeting talk in this somewhere?
Carizzo Springs Branch Chapel


Questions and Answers

When you as a missionary have a difficult week, what is helpful to you to encourage you to go forth again with love and determination?

To recognize that I am less than the dust of the earth, and that Jesus Christ lives. If this is His work, I do not need to worry. In fact, as I was writing this email, I began to worry that I wasn't writing eloquently enough or sharing enough of what happened this week. Focusing the Savior helps me to ignore worry and to share in the love He has for everyone we talk to -- his charity.

What did you learn last week from being in charge of Sacrament Meeting sort of on the spur of the moment? 

I learned that the Elder's quorum president needed to preside in that Sacrament Meeting instead of myself. It was a little embarrassing, but it isn't a lesson I will easily forget.

Did you and Elder Craner give the talks- if so what did you speak about?

It was Fast and Testimony meeting. I bore my testimony, and I did my best to focus it on the Savior.
    
Did you ask any one there to lead music or did you lead it?     

A member of the branch lead the music. I was grateful for her help. The funny thing is, we sang the exact same hymns as we did the week before, except a-Capella (no pianist).

Have you had any Texas watermelons? 

I ate more watermelon with Elder Scroggs than with any other of my companions, but we have eaten a little here. A member prepared us a meal to take home one evening and in it was watermelon slices. Fruit is great.

What's Elder Craner's favorite food?    

A korean dish called "poolikogi." That isn't spelled correctly, but that was my best guess. He also loves breakfast foods, but usually eats them at dinner time.

 How has the Spirit lead you this week?

The Spirit has reminded me to be more outwardly grateful for the things that I have been given. There was a time while we were home that I felt stressed, and I wanted to know what I could start doing to relieve stress and recognized the good that was happening. Just then, the thought popped into my head to share with my companion a goal to being more outwardly grateful.

I know that my Savior loves me. He expresses his love daily through small and simple things.

--
-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment