Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Rats!

Dear Family and all others:

Rats were among the things that I discovered once I got to my new apartment. Well, actually, it was the second night in and my new companion, Elder Drennan, actually discovered them, but it doesn't matter too much. It's also regrettable to note that we don't have our own washer or dryer, so we have to take some extra time each p-day to do laundry. Well, I guess all that can really do is prepare me for college, right?

My new area is San Antonio 10th Ward B. When I got here, they split the ward in two, and the original elders serving here, namely Elder Drennan and Elder Scott, each receive a new companion, and are now covering different halves of the same area. Elder Scott and Elder Hill (yes, it's Hill) are covering the North side of our area, and Elder Drennan and I are on the South side. It's an english area with a bunch going on.

The Spanish ward covering the same area, Las Palmas, also has two elder covering it, with the South Zone Leaders at the north, Elder Masters and Elder Meidel, and the south with our district leader, Elder Olsen and his missionary in training Elder Hart. Because our area is covered by both Spanish Elders, the Singles Ward Sisters, and the variety of areas that boarder ours, we receive a bunch of referrals, in addition to the ones we receive from online. Seeing as the area is now split in two, the referrals should come in at a now manageable rate, where before I got here, they would get around twenty a week, and maybe contact eight of them. I'm excited to see what I can do to serve better in this area, even though it is a English ward once again. I do yearn for a Spanish ward one of these days, but I'm not really complaining.

Since we've gotten here, we've found four Spanish speakers to pass to our district leader and his companion. I'm probably going to teach the Restoration a fair amount of times in Spanish, so I'll get good practice.

Elder Drennan is 21, from Canton, Michigan, and really easy to get along with. I feel like if I ever offend him, he'll frankly forgive me no matter what I do. All the more reason to make sure I don't hurt him in any way. Because if I do, I have a feeling I won't ever find out. He came in a transfer after I did. So while I got into the mission field on the 25th of June, he arrived in Mexico the same day. He is my senior companion. This has been just a slight struggle for me, seeing as my pride often gets in the way. This isn't a strange occurrence for the younger missionary to lead, but I feel like I need to become even more humble and realize that the Lord wants me to serve in this capacity -- not because I am not coherent, or stupid, or not faithful enough to Him and His gospel, but because I can do more good as a a follower than as a a leader at this point. He's a great man, and he has much more experience living than I do. He's a safe driver, extremely humble too -- so much, that when a member complimented him for being very easy to talk to and get along with, he was confused after the visit and said, "oh, I hadn't realized he was talking about me back there."

He is a Spanish speaker, and I am blessed to have him to work with. His Spanish isn't quite as developed, it still sounds as if he struggles with pronunciation, and he sounds a little bit foreign to the language as he speaks it, but I know that I can be a leader in this as we teach. I need to pray for him that his ability will improve to the level that he deserves it to be at. And no matter how choppy it might seem, I need to see his potential and not to judge him. It's been pretty fun so far.

The last few days in Uvalde were effective. We had a family home evening at Ed, Christina, and Johnny's neighbor's, and we watched the restoration. When it was finished, Christina asked the question, "Who is the Holy Ghost?" A golden question. I told them I would be leaving in a few days, and shared some music with them. I'll try to keep tabs on them through Elder Bertelsen and Downer. We also stopped by Daniel and his neighbor Daniel, but Gina was working late so we missed them. We delivered chalk and music, and the kids loved the chalk.

We're working with a great deal of investigator couples where one of them is a member, and they are living together, unmarried. Man! We're having a bigger law of chastity problem here than we were in Uvalde. Chris and Darian said they would come to church, but they didn't make it. I was sad, especially since they said that they would come.

We had three confirmations at church, and I got to take a part in them. This ward strangely likes to do baptisms on a Sunday, and then the confirmation the next week, so the baptisms didn't happen this weekend, but the one before I came. This ward is growing a bunch. I hope to see a few baptisms before I leave, but whatever happens, I aim to leave the area better than I found it.
I also got great news from Windcrest:

Sister Rubio agreed to start being taught by the missionaries, since the Spanish Sister missionary and her hit it off. The unfortunate thing is she had to cancel a bunch of appointments in a row, so I'm not sure if the teaching has began or not. Please keep their family in your prayers as I'm sure you haven't really ever ceased to do.

I'm trying to work on my healthy eating but I've been impeded the last few days. We had a bunch of gift cards which we received from members, and we've must've eaten out six times in the last four days or so. And since we don't have a gym, it'll be hard to get our exercise done. And we have a car. And darn it. But, I'll find a way to drop a few pounds. And yes, I'm gaining a few. We won't get as many member dinners since most of the members live in the north, so I should be able to manage my eating habits a little more than in Uvalde or UC.

I'm excited. It's also funny, because Elder Tews was Zone Leader of this zone just before I got here. 
He was one and done here as well. He's now in Austin for the first time, lucky him. One day I hope to get sent to Austin too, but who knows?
--
-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

P.S.

No pictures this week, not because I didn't take any, but because this library computer is being annoying and doesn't seem to let me. I'll send them later or next week, depending on if I figure this out or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment