Monday, March 16, 2015

Clever Subject Line Loading, Please Wait

Hello to everyone at home, or abroad, or simple not in the TSAM at this time,

I realized fairly quickly after sending my last email and leaving the library that I forgot to answer questions. Pretend that I didn't, and read these:

How has your perspective of your mission changed this week?  

I guess at first I approached missionary work as pressing random buttons that I didn't quite know what they did, under my leaders' direction, and hoping that something good would come of it. I didn't understand what my purpose as a missionary was, and I'm starting to grasp it a little more. I'll think on this a little more, and respond more about it.

What has been this biggest surprise you've had this week? 

Yesterday we met a young man who was having a little spat with his girlfriend, and heavy cursing was involved. It made Elder Drennan and I wonder why they are even in a relationship, if they talk to each other like that. But nonetheless, we approached him, (Sunny or Soney or Sun-e or something. Probably the first spelling, but I have no idea.) We started talking to him, and it was amazing how open he was to the message. He said he read the Bible, but it didn't seem like he had a Christian background. I hope things progress with him.

Oh, and I found out that Elder Drennan knew Elder Zelaya before the mission, and that he when to Elder Zelaya's mission call opening (in BYU, of course.) Small world, eh?

In what ways have you felt Heavenly Father's love this week?  

Heavenly Father loves me, because he gives me the chance to grow, and he chastises me when necessary. I've wanted to improve my level of consecration, and so I want to study the Christlike attribute of virtue, to make sure that my thoughts are as consecrated as my actions are. Elder Drennan is extremely patient with me, and with anyone. If he ever gets angry, it's for millisecond bursts that I am unable to see with human eyes.

What is the funniest or finest thing that came your way this week?

Animals are quite funny here. In this one cul-de-sac, there was a dog that barked like it had no voice. It tried so hard to sound intimidating, but it simple couldn't. There are birds here that sound like they are charging up a laser rifle, and shooting several rounds. I hear those often. I have heard a siren go off at least once every day since I've been here. This morning I woke up to the sound of a bird, which at first I thought was an owl, but turned out to be a pigeon, chilling in the balcony closet that had somehow been opened last night.

This area has a bunch of potential, no wonder they have two sets of missionaries here.

Last week on Tuesday I had an exchange with Elder Olsen, our district leader who covers the same exact area, except he works in the Spanish ward. His companionship and mine are always passing referrals, or people we meet and teach, to each other. It's nice to know that the people we find are in good hands when we send them off. Usually you don't know the fellows you're going to refer those you meet to. We worked hard, and I learned the value of preaching by the way. We found a man who had met missionaries before, they set up an appointment to meet him, but never came back. That really upset him. He mentioned many times that the Elders were liars since they weren't true to their word. While it is hard as a missionary to keep up with everyone, since you see several new faces every day, I understand where he is coming from. Elder Olsen made a huge note not to miss the appointment with him.

At dinner, a lovely old Spanish lady fed us tortas. Boy, they were good. For some reason, she thought I was extremely funny. I made a fool of myself on several occasions, and at one point, for no good reason, she looks at Elder Olsen, says his name and points at me and starts laughing. Is my face really that ugly? Just kidding. Anyway, I've never met anyone who thought my mere presence was enough to make them laugh. Ouch. I haven't really considered being a comedian as a job, but if people in general thought I was as funny as that Spanish lady did, I would consider it. It's like I developed a temporary super power or something.

We also taught during the exchange a couple that was searching truth. After I recounted Joseph's First Vision, the lady began to tear up. Wow, the Spirit has the magnificent power to touch hearts. I certainly didn't think I had much to do with it. The day was super busy.

On Wednesday, we taught the Fernandez family, the family who's two daughters were confirmed last Sunday. And strangely enough, we found a LA family that I taught back in Universal City! Turns out they (the A family [Shortened name for privacy]) were related to the Fernandez's. I can see at least slightly a reason as to why I was sent here, of all places. I might be able to touch them, because I have at least a partial bond built up with them. Brother A gave me a tie while I was in UC. Their youngest daughter isn't baptized, but could be. I wonder what I can to support that family.

On Thursday I had a doctor's appointment down in Austin, so that took up a bunch of our day, luckily we were able to safeguard our evening for appointments. I took that time to knock off a bunch of the journal entries that I was behind on my journal writing. Elder Drennan, being the senior companion, had to drive the whole way. I felt bad for him.

Then on Friday we took the car in to get the power steering fixed. They estimated two hours for the repair, but it took more like nine. And what was worse, we had forgotten to take our apartment key off of the key ring, so when our Ward Mission Leader finally got us back to our apartment complex, we couldn't actually get in -- until Elder Olsen and Elder Hart got here, and gave us the spare key that hey had to our apartment, and we finally could do some weekly planning.

Saturday was a little rough as well. We had five or six appointments, and all of them fell through. Yikes, days like those can be tough. Those times are the times when we are really showing our loyalty and devotion to the Lord.

Sunday was great because Chris and Darian made it to church, though it's hard to tell if Chris enjoyed it. He's pretty introverted. He didn't read between when we last saw him, so that was a little disappointing. But while things can be slow here, it's great to cheer for the north side of the ward, and Elder Scott and Elder Hill, when things go well with them.

How are you and Elder Drennan settling in? 

Fairly well. The high rate of referrals we get is hard to keep up with. We're getting to know the area a little bit better, line by line and such. We got a new dish-washer, and that thing sounds like a beast. Can't tell if it's cleaning the dishes or waging war against them.

What new things about the people in your new area have you learned? 

Well, with the people in general, the men don't know how to wear their pants on high enough. Luckily, their shirts usually cover the slack, but in general it seems to be a fashion here.

"Pants (almost) on the ground, pants (almost) on the ground, lookin' like a fool with you pants (almost) on the ground."

Oddly enough, I haven't actually met all of our investigators, because we had a lesson with one while I was on exchanges, and the other didn't immerge from bed when we came to visit him and his significant other. Most of the LA sisters with their non-member "husbands" seem to have the desire to become active, but the relationship can slow that down a fair bit.

How has Heavenly Father shown his love for you this week? 

Elder Drennan is the epitome of "slow to anger" he's a good example. Heavenly Father has mostly shown his love to me by helping me sleep well, and enabling me to work diligently every day.

Have you noticed any signs of Spring yet? 

Spring? I don't think Spring really exists in Texas. It's gotten warmer here, but I can't so much as tell if Spring, or just warmer weather, is here.

Apologies, but no pictures yet, again. I need to get an SD card adapter from Walmart or something.

Heavenly Father loves you, and I do too!

--
-Elder Hall
Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment