Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Departure


Hello Family and Friend and all others,
Drat. They're carting me out. I'm packing. I guess the didn't appreciate me in the area so my companions made a combined effort to make sure I leave. Just kidding of course. I'm pretty sad to leave this area, seeing as so many people are progressing here and I've poured my heart into our teaching, but I know I've got to go. Elder Bertelsen is becoming a district leader. Elder Downer will be blessed by that. Every companion I've had has either gone home, become a zone leader, district leader, or a trainer. So I guess I am still the leadership trainer here. Just kidding again. Complete coincidence. As Elder Vergara said, "The area gets better when you leave it. That's a sign that you were successful."

This week was fantastic. Only one person made it to church this week, but many should be able to come next week. Adam, "the tamale guy" was a member a long time ago, and probably was baptized when he was 8 in Ohio. But because we can't find his records, he needs to be baptized again. He made it to sacrament meeting, and we were excited, but as soon as the meeting end, and I mean exactly that -- AS SOON AS IT ENDED, he was off. We visited him at his house later, but he was already in bed, must have been feeling under the weather. Christina, Ed, and Johnny also missed church because Christina was feeling sick. Daniel had to work. Work and sickness can be a bane of church attendance at times.
Saturday Christina Ed and Johnny made it to a church tour with another member we brought, and they seemed to like it. We taught them the Gospel o Jesus Christ and showed them the baptismal font. They are extremely humble, and you can see they have really real intent. While they've only read a little of the Book of Mormon, the very fact that they are reading means a bunch. Seeing as the live right next door to the 1st counselor of the bishopric doesn't hurt either.

There was a little bit of bad news however. Ramon and Fransis have stopped meeting with us, and Casey told us, "I just don't believe religion is for me guys." We answered his questions and assigned him to read Alma 22 and to pray to know if God exists. If he has real intent, than that answer of 'yes,' will lead to more for him. I have no idea if he's read yet, but keep him in your prayers and hopefully with time, even if my companions don't meet with him for a long time, maybe something will stir in him. (Ugh, the 'f' and 'y' keys don't work very well on this computer.)
This week we had an exchange with the zone leaders, Elder Carmichael and Elder Butterfield. Elder Butterfield was in Windcrest the transfer before I came along, so regardless of whether he acknowledges it, I feel a small bond with him. He served in my home area, so he's got to be awesome. Elder Carmichael is leaving in a few days, as his mission is almost finished. He came here and Elder Downer went down there. He was humble. He told us that he had many things to learn, but at the same time, I could see how developed he was as a missionary. Oh, how I hope to be a missionary that could be entrusted with that kind of leadership. Don't get me wrong, I don't ever need to be a zone leader, but if I can get to the point that I feel like I was qualified to serve in that position, I will have accomplished something.
Daniel and Gina and their whole family are just golden. They will make great members -- I'm only sad that I won't be there to see them get baptized one day. But I will do my very best to keep in touch with them if at all possible after their baptism, because every convert is a serious responsibility. We taught them the Plan o Salvation up to the Atonement, and there was no end to their awesome questions. Daniel is committed. He isn't going to test the waters, if he gets in, he will become converted. Keep them in your prayers. Pray that they will continue to receive the message that missionaries will teach them. Pray that they will go to the right sources for answer. Unfortunately, the internet doesn't have a truth filter.

Pray also that I will accept the departure that approaches. I have no idea where I'll get carted off to, and I'm a little scared. I know I am needed where I'm going, but it's always hard to stay in an area for only a transfer. Hah, come to think of it, I haven't served with a single companion for more than a transfer and a half. And that was with Elder Tews. It's crazy.
Recently I've been reading through Mosiah chapters 2-5. It's amazing how apparent the nothingness of man is. Without Jesus Christ is, I'm nothing. King Benjamin encourages us to engage in this work. What do we have against taking upon ourselves the name of Christ? These are great chapters. If you find time this week, study them.

Hope I haven't missed anything.

Elders Carmichael, Butterfield, Downer, Hall and Bertelsen.
 --
-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment