Monday, November 17, 2014

Increasing in Faith


Hello family, friends, and all,

A somewhat slower feeling week this week. The last few days we got a fair bit of sprinkling rain, which prevented us from using our bikes those days. Once again, I am very grateful for bikes, and the rate at which they can get us from appointment to appointment. We've really relied on members for rides an help during the darkening hours of the evening. During our first dinner when the weather started turning bitter, the members who fed us took pity on us and gave us both gloves and hats. They even gave Elder Loveridge some thermals and myself a scarf. I won't be needing any more winter gear, probably. That was extremely kind of those members. It did help, however, that this member gets free gear in relation to his work, so we weren't taking anything that the didn't already have a grand excess of.
I've gotten a little bit sick in the past few days. One day I pulled my back somehow, and the day it recovered completely I caught a cold. I am taking my vitamins, but I could probably do better to take care of myself, namely exercise harder and eat smarter.

Somehow, I don't know how, I lost my glasses last night. I had them with me before I went to bed, but I must have done something strange, because they haven't turned up yet. If y'all could put in some extra words in your prayers that I might find them or stop being so weak and get over it, I would appreciate it very much. It reminds me of a night in Windcrest back in my first transfer, when I woke up and found my retainer was under my bed somehow. 

Yesterday we ate with Call family. I was very surprised to learn that Brother Call is the younger brother of my former MTC Branch president, President call. When I took another look, he did look an awful lot like him, and they both sound very similar too. They fed us well and we enjoyed their company, but it did make me a little bit nostalgic when they knew the town I'm from. Oof. Lots of good members in plenty of good places.

This week we met with the non-member mother and non-member cousin of another family in the ward for lunch. There were so many people present at the lesson, however, that it took a very long time for us to share the doctrine that we wanted. It goes to show that gospel study sometimes is more efficient in more personal theaters. Gloria, the cousin, has the desire to be baptized, but is a little distraught that she needs to meet with missionaries in order to do it. She'll need all the prayers she can get in order to overcome Word of Wisdom difficulties. Ramon, the mother, has already read from the Book of Mormon, but doesn't seem as interested in learning more. She too, I think, will come around as she continues to read and pray. In reality, if we as members aren't reading and praying daily ourselves, we  can't continue to know that the church is true. It's a gospel principle for everyone.

On Wednesday we had a zone meeting (our zone only). It went very well. I had my regular interview with the Mission President and I asked him how I could consecrate my fears. He told me that the decision of consecration could be immediate, but the actually change would happen over time. Kind of funny how we need to exercise patience in a variety of ways before we become better. And even then, we do it completely through the grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. During lunch myself and a few other missionaries wandered a little through the chapel, when this bird runs face first into the glass of a door, and dies. It was so sad, but you couldn't help but laugh at how sudden it was. None of us will live on this earth very long. The time we have to prepare is preciously short.

 With the holidays approaching as fast as they are, we'll need to prepare ourselves to teach like mad during the Christmas Season. Hearts are always softer, words are kinder, and people are generally more receptive to a message of Jesus Christ during the holiday modeled after his birth, Christmas. Please keep the people of San Antonio in you prayers, and pray for an opportunity to lift the life of another during this great time.

Universal city will certainly be a new experience.

 

Will you please tell us more about your new ward area?
Sure.

. . . .


Just kidding.

This ward has plenty of English speakers, but no pure Spanish speakers. Anyone who speaks Spanish in this ward will also be able to speak english. As a result, all of our work is in English. It's a little sad that I can't use my Spanish as often. Instead, I just annoy my companion by saying everything first in Spanish and then translating it into English. Well, that's what I'll try to do.

The members feed us daily. So far in being in this ward, the members haven't missed a single day with us. We have an officially called member in the ward who organizes a calendar and makes sure it gets filled every week. And while we do eat every day, it isn't with the same families every week. It gives us a great opportunity to lift the members of the ward as best as we can.

We have a good sized ward. It covers the three mini-cities of Shertz, Universal City, and Live Oak. Bikes definitely come in handy, but the few days that we've had to walk haven't been entirely fruitless.
What is Elder Loveridge's family like?
A younger family. He's the oldest of four, and from what I understand his mother is a convert. His father served in Brazil on his mission. His younger sister who is finishing up her senior year is planning on serving a mission too. Pretty exciting stuff.
Where does he come in his family as to brothers and /or sisters?   
Two younger brothers and one younger sister.
How has the Lord blessed you this week?

We wouldn't have found Gloria or Ramon at all if it weren't for the members of the ward. Some people you find through hard work. Others come to you as you work hard. Luckily the Lord doesn't bless us in the same ways every single time. If he did, we would begin to believe it was through our efforts that people accepted the gospel, which wouldn't be accurate.

With love for God, and for you all,

-Elder Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment