Monday, November 24, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving to family, friends, etc., etc.

It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is already upon us. Soon Christmas and New Years, and pretty soon summer will be here, and in a year I'll probably be saying just about the same things.

Thanksgiving is a time to be, well, thankful. I'm grateful of this holiday and how it can be a yearly reminder to not only count our blessings but to be thankful in our circumstances. I'm thankful for the members of Universal City ward. They are extremely generous, and I haven't gone a single day without eating at a member's home with the exception of P-day. The members here are completely willing to help us in several aspects of missionary work, and they lift where they stand. I'm also thankful for the support of members back in my home ward and what they to to help me keep the faith and maintain hope.

Earlier this week we met a different fellow. As we went visiting people in our records, we came across Richard. When we knocked he immediately invited us in and we sat down with him in his garage. After a little while we had learned that missionaries visited him many times before. During those visits he was still struggling with a drinking problem, and as a result was not sober whatsoever during those visits. He managed to quit the habit 9 months ago, and so we were the first missionaries to talk with him while he was sober. The older missionaries still had a tremendously good affect on him, which resulted in him inviting us in so soon. He told us how he would love to read the Book of Mormon, how he felt dissatisfied with his current religion, and wanted to come closer to God. He told us how God was a major help to him during his addiction, and how he strives still to overcome his addiction to tobacco. His wife may not be as interested, so I ask for your prayers on his family's behalf, that they might have softened hearts and be willing to listen to the message of the restoration.

Gloria was sick when we visited with Ramon, so we were unable to teach her. We've now learned that Ramon has read the Book of Mormon twice before, and she's working on a third read through. While she has a testimony of its truthfulness, she's still nervous about baptism, and when we asked when we could come over next, she said "Oh, sometime after the holidays." When we asked if she meant Thanksgiving, she responded, "no, after Christmas." Luckily her son helped us by pointing out that we may not even be there after Christmas. She's still extremely apprehensive though, and we'll do all we can to strengthen her testimony of Christ. Prayers are always welcome, and I thank you for them.

Rain, rain, rain. On Saturday night, it poured like mad. Since Elder Loveridge needed to pick up some medicine, we used the less productive hours in the dark to go pick it up. When we came out, the sky flooded. Walking back to the apartment through the few blocks was like swimming. Our shoes were filled. Luckily, however, we had brought umbrellas with us and the rain only wetted our pride, and not our shirts.

I had tres leches cake for the first time before yesterday. Pretty good. For those of you who don't know, tres leches cake is a local dessert made of several things and three kinds of milk, goats', normal, and sweetened condensed. It's extremely moist. Can't say it was my very favorite, but certainly something to try if you're ever in Texas.

Elder Loveridge and I wrecked on our bikes. No worries, I didn't rip any pants this time, but we both felt silly after it all transpired. Going down a, err, I'm not sure what to call it, basically it's a pathway for water to drain, we came to a part where there was a fairly large drop off. To avoid it, we took the side which was a little bit slanted but otherwise level and a safer way to get to the lower level. Seconds after he got on, Elder Loveridge promptly fell over. Moments later following him closely, I slipped too. Apparently all of the rain had slicked the path making it difficult to go over without slipping. My leg hurts a little from the fall, but I've done much worse.

What else, what else? It seems that Alamo 2nd has been doing fairly well. The people we were working with are progressing, and they still find new people.

A family has already invited us over for Thanksgiving, so I'm not to preoccupied with what is happening then. Holidays such as this one aren't the best time to proselyte, so it might be a lazy day. Those shouldn't happen too often.

I'm grateful for email. Technology has helped the work hasten very much, and it continues to be the way that missionaries and families can continue to communicate. Thanks to everyone who sends a friendly message from time to time.

Questions:

What do the people in the Universal city area do at Thanksgiving- are there turkey pinatas or what?

I don't think there are any turkey piƱatas. That would be a little strange. They probably do it just like people in Utah do, except with less snow and more barbecue. I'll just have to find out for myself though.

Has the weather let you use your bikes much this week? 

A fair amount. We don't use them in heavy rain and we no longer ride them at night, but we take them out as often as we can. Feet can't beat wheels for efficiency.

How are Ramon and Gloria doing? 

Gloria's a little sick. Ramon is worried sick. We're leaving this in the Lord's hands, because there isn't an awful lot we can do to help them if we can't visit them.

What was the funniest thing that happened to you this week?

Maybe this wasn't funny, but I had a dream that I got sent home. It was funny that I could remember the dream, and it was funny I couldn't remember the reason why I went home. I dream a lot more often than I remember I did before I left for San Antonio.

In what way(s) has the Spirit been guiding you this week?

Through helping me to study better, through helping us decide who to visit. By touching the hearts of us and those we visit, to allow open conversation to flow. I'll need to come up with more specific things next week. Certainly the Spirit tried to guide us away from crashing, but we did have heavenly protection anyways.

By the way, how is your edifying music player working? Can both you and Elder Loveridge hear it well enough?

It's pretty loud. I don't like the broken switch, but it's a minor nuisance.

Did you locate your glasses?

Yes. I found them underneath the suitcase at the foot of my bed. Probably the last place I would look for it, so it took a while for it to turn up.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Elder Hall

P.S. I suggest that all of you offer at least one prayer of only gratitude this week. Make it as long as you desire, but don't get up if your heart is still full!

No comments:

Post a Comment