Monday, July 21, 2014

My Favorite Thing in San Antonio

Greetings, everyone!

Here are some questions I got:

Questions- 

Are you in contact more with Spanish speakers than English speakers this week?
Honestly, hard to tell. Probably more English. The reason why my emails are in english  is because our neighbors are typically english speaking. I try to surround myself in Spanish from time to time, but I still think in english. I still pray for the gift of tongues often.

What is the most peaceful experience you have had this week?

The Frost family invited us to dinner yesterday. They live pretty far away from our apartment, and because of how our scheduling ended up, we had little time to get there. I don't think I've ever had more fun "biking my heart out" in my life. Meaning, we biked vigorously, but I enjoyed it. When we arrived at their home, I was very tired. They were extremely understanding to us, and I loved to learn about their family. After we ate dinner and Brother and Sister Frost showed us family pictures, Elder Scroggs and I sang Joseph Smiths First Prayer with them.
By the end of the song, I felt great peace. The type of peace that only the message of the restoration (Joseph's prayer in particular) could bring. I love this message.

 What was the most encouraging experience you had this week?

I'll talk more about this later, but I sang "Abide With Me Tis Eventide" for zone conference this week. This experience encouraged me because I knew the Holy Ghost was comfortable with my singing. If that makes any sense. :)

What was the funniest thing that happened this week?

This week was really funny in general. In between a few appointments we stopped and knocked at this one house. The house was pretty tall, and had a window directly above us as we waited at the front door. Next thing we know, this man pops his head out of the window and says he wasn't interested. I had no idea where the voice was coming from, so it was pretty hilarious when I saw him. Well, I suppose the context made it funnier than it sounds.

This was the first thing that comes to mind.

This week I had my very first Zone Conference. Future missionaries, get excited for them. They are wonderfully long, but you'll like several parts in between.
President Slaughter talked about remembering who we are. As missionaries, we do know that we are called by a prophet to serve the Lord. We often times forget that we are also part of Israel, and we can know our lineage through patriarchal blessings. He told us that as we come to know who we are, our desire to invite others to discover these same truths will increase (not exactly the words he used). We aren't simply Israelites either. We are children of God, chosen to declare this same knowledge to others. And we will receive help to do this.

During Zone Conference, I had the chance to sing a solo with Sister Woodward as my accompanist. I didn't sing a special arrangement, but I did sing with my heart. Part of what humbled me with this opportunity was I knew a few other missionaries in my Zone who could sing very well. Perhaps sing better than me. But because Elder Rogers, one of my zone leaders, asked me to sing, I did it. I loved this experience.
Our district has had great success this week. I had the chance to attend two baptisms this week, and we only missed another because we had a lesson with Bruno (amazing man who I will talk about later) we had. Another thing I learned from Zone Conference was success depends on how we work. Often times the agency of others will interfere with a person's progress, but it will not change the success we receive for working hard.

Elder Scroggs and I met Bruno a few weeks ago as we traveled to meet with the Rubio family. He was outside working with two young guys that he paid. To keep it short, we talked, he liked us, offered us some "big red" soda which I didn't want to refuse. Because I couldn't drink all of it then, I put the rest of it in an empty bottle I had. That bottle spilled (still a bit embarrassed about this, but no worries :)) while we were biking.
Since then we've visited him a few times. I'm not sure if he completely understands why we want to visit him, but he's progressing. His christian heart reminds me that I can pray to help him, but not influence his agency.

Thanks for all of the prayers. I have felt them immensely from family, friends, and family of friends.

-Elder Hall
 
P.S.  Here's a photo of the missionaries serving the Windcrest Ward.  From left to right, Hermana Woodward, Hermana Pyper, Elder Hall, Elder Scroggs
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment