Monday, July 7, 2014

Learning to Love The Work


Greetings everyone!
Mom, Dad, I'm very glad Erin will come to visit some time today. Can't tell you how many times I think of her, and you two as well. Wish love to her family as well, for me. Same to Tracy.

Last monday I had my first opportunity to visit an HEB (Texas pride makes the place well known : )) and buy groceries. Elder Scroggs and I bought two huge watermelons for pretty cheap. We haven't opened the second one but we took a big chunk of of the first one Saturday night. It was a well deserved dessert, I think.
I'm getting to know the members a little bit better with every dinner we have with them. We met with the Rodriguez family, biked really hard to met for an appointment, and then visited with the Scott family afterwards. It was a bit difficult because each place we stopped at was at a different corner seemingly of the area Elder S. and I cover, but I felt the power of our fast strengthening us. Additionally, we heard testimonies from the Rodriguez family and the Scotts, and that was well worth the travel time. Oddly enough, I love biking!

Preach My Gospel helps out a ton. During the hour study time we are given each day for Personal Studies, I like to read one of the chapters and study the scriptures it uses. This morning I looked at chapter 9, "How To Find," or a similar title. For those of you who are interested in going on a mission, or are mission age, I suggest you read this sometime during the week when you're feeling a bit discouraged with life. It'll prepare you more for your mission, and it's pretty cool anyways.
This week also had one of the most spiritually lead experiences I've ever encountered in my life. On Wednesday, Elder Scroggs and I tracked a little bit in Brown, one of the areas farthest away from our apartment. We had some success, but otherwise we were going to knock on ONE last house before we unhooked our bikes and left. As we approached this one house, I saw through a screen door a man approach us and invite us in. His invitation was a warm welcome. The way he treated us lead me to believe that Elder Scroggs had taken me to a members home. It wasn't one. We sat down and talked with him, his wife, and his daughter who was a little bit older. This family absolutely loves missionaries and called it a "rare occasion," almost in the same way you would describe a trip to an amusement park. Everything about these people lead me to believe that this family has been prepared to hear the gospel for a long time. Both parents are teachers at a highschool, and have known mormon students they taught.

We proceeded to teach them The Restoration, using a pamphlet to help guide it. The father knew much more about our church the mom, but these were prime contacts. I felt so blessed that I could teach them with my companion. We haven't visited them since, because the father is busy until the end of the week, but I am confident that they will become members if my pride doesn't interrupt the teaching proccess. And check this out Mom, they come from the Methodist Church. I thought that was pretty cool.
I'm growing accustom to the heat quite well. I love the moisture, and the people here are so kind as to offer water to us when we visit, even when we don't teach a lesson or served them in a concrete way. I want to reflect that love to them as well.

I hope the rest of my current and future missionary friend enjoy /will enjoy their missions. I'm super happy to be here.
-Elder Hall


Here's a picture of my bed, all nicely made. It's just about my size.
I promise I won't keep sending pictures of the apartment. This was all I had that was new, so i went with it. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment