Sunday, April 24, 2016

High on a Mountain Top

Dear all of my family and friends at home,

How have the events in your week transpired?

Well,.....

As you should be aware, we were scheduled to have a baptism last week. And guess what? We DID!! Venita was ecstatic for the opportunity, and she had great support from family and friends. I've mentioned this to those in the area often: Venita's baptism was the easiest to schedule, and the smoothest baptism I've participated in. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed all of the baptisms that I've been a part of. I suppose it helps to have a supportive ward, plenty of fellowship, and prior experience to make sure things go smooth as, well, possible. I loved it! I'll give a more detailed experience of it later.

No need to ask about the rain, it's been falling. This weekend it picked up the pace and we found ourselves dealing with it on and off. This week’s forecast is said to have plenty of rain to spare again, so pray that the rain doesn't make the roads too slick, our faces too cold, and that the rain fulfilled its purpose. I do believe it does. Something that made me smile is when a member approached us yesterday and said they saw us earlier that week. One day we decided to park near a golf driving range to avoid taking a spot in the shoulder of the road. We walked a good distance to get back to the house we wanted to visit, luckily someone answered the door, feeling a little sick herself. So that member likely saw us when we were on the shoulder of that busy two lane road here in town.

We are walking more because our leaders have reemphasized it. I love biking when we don't have a car, and when the area is conducive to biking directly from our house to somewhere. Unfortunately, Lake Travis is neither a prescribed bike area nor the bike friendliest place. Maybe if we lived more in the suburbs that would be possible. Instead, we have to hang our bikes on our car's bike rack anytime we want to bring the two wheelers. I'm not too patient for that -- oddly enough I love to just walk. And as we parked further from places we wanted to visit, and talked to people on the way, more miracles became apparent in the area.

One such example was the afternoon right after Zone Meeting. At the meeting we had interviews with President, I probably had one of my second to last ones, and some amazing trainings. It felt like a spiritual feast, and our leaders did a great job to direct the conversation. Only different to church services, there was no sacrament, there were roleplays, and the conversation was directed to us. I felt somewhat rebuked. Rebuked meaning that there were some things I could do better, and that made a sort of repentance much easier to do. It can be hard to change if we aren't invited to. Anyway, President Slaughter seemed to convey he was proud of my effort so far. He never said it, but his face did, and the "air" about him did. I walked out of the interview happy. And that is what I felt, "happy." This week has done so much to put me on a mountaintop, where I felt blessed by the Lord directly, and lead to help people a little more selflessly than before.

In a critical training, Sister Ali, a missionary I served around during my brief stint in Carrizo, talked about having no regrets. She relayed a parable of sorts that I am dead sure she learned from Elder Bertelsen. In it, she is walking in the spirit world, when someone that she only slightly recognizes walks up to her:

"Why didn't you talk to me? You had what I needed. When you walked by, I felt lost. I was carrying my groceries in, but I needed help. You could have shared it with me, but you passed me by. Why didn't you talk to me?"

She gave several examples of situations we find people in, that are only masks for the need and the openness they would have if we talked to them. I'm not perfect at talking to all I can, that is something I can still work on. Elder Anderson and I silently committed together to make sure circumstances didn't keep us from talking to anyone. That made it possible for the fated event that afternoon.

When we finished eating, waiting, calling, planning, and waiting some more, we eventually got out to visit a couple of people. On the way to a house, we turned the opposite direction. We found a crew of Hispanic men doing yard touch up and work there, and the closest one, probably the only one who we would be able to talk to, was on a loud lawn mower. I almost hesitated. I did not want to be the one to shy away. But just as it would have gotten too late to talk, he turned it off and we approached him. We spoke in Spanish to him and introduce the Book of Mormon to him. He loves God like we do. At the end, he expressed his need to keep working, but thanked us profusely for stopping to talk. That was a confirmation to me of what Sister Ali taught, and the direction given to walk more. After passing by, we realized we were going the wrong way to the person's house. Except we weren't going the wrong way at all.

This isn't even the end of all I feel like saying. For exchanges, Elder Mackay came down on Wednesday so he could interview Venita. A variety of canceled appointments really stressed me out, and I felt like an engineer building a plane as I fall off a cliff. A really big cliff, but a cliff that definitely makes the task time sensitive. We started out with a member with the both of us, and then we met up with ward mission leader, and Venita at the house of one of her member friends. The interview couldn't have hardly taken any time at all, because before I knew it, Elder Mackay and she were done. Later he said that she was quite sound in her understanding. She couldn't remember what the Word of Wisdom was, but Elder Mackay prompted her and it came directly to her mind. It make sense -- Word of Wisdom might not be a very easy name to memorize. Then we split off and I went with that original member. We got some work done, sadly a few lessons we set up fell through.

The baptism itself was fantastic. Because I write in my journal now, I'll include a portion of the description of it here. It's like I'm quoting myself:

"The baptism was quite clear. That's how I could describe it. . . .This was a true baptism. I knew that it was true. Maybe because I was kind of distracted by worries of any kind, I didn't feel it as clearly, but I noticed that idea more of the truth of baptism, not necessarily the Spirit. Not to worry though, I did feel the Spirit. If you are focusing, then you will. But the continual feeling that permeated the room and allowed the room to stay whole, and clean, was fantastic.
Afterwards, we talked to her family. They were respectful, but not too op I suppose. But they were nice. They likely didn't recognize what they saw as well."
Afterwards the member who baptized Venita reminded me not to be overbearingly humble:
"He said in effect, 'never underestimate your role in a baptism. You make a difference.' I wish I had his exact words, but not to worry. Though God is to glory, I can feel a little of that light, having been the opportunity to experience it all. I have been there for the whole thing. This is a wonderful feeling to have. I love my Father in Heaven. I love the Savior. Him only will I worship, and them only will I give all that I have. It is Theirs to begin with."

I kind of enjoy writing in my iPad. It allows me to focus less on handwriting and more on clarity of thought. I can't imagine how hard it was to engrave in the original plates of the Book of Mormon. We sometimes take for granted the advancements in technology of our day, as if we never knew they existed.

The confirmation was a similar experience. Venita's mother-in-law Diane came to the baptism, but also came to her confirmation. She is a member of the church, and actually was home taught by the ward mission leader some time ago, before ward splits and such. That was really cool. As a result of carpooling with Diane, she was a little late, but not super late. A priest (for those of you who aren't members, priests are usually junior or seniors in high school) asked us to help him bless the sacrament. That is a rare treat: we like to let the priests do it. But we had the chance, and we did it. I liked the opportunity. Apart from that, Venita walked to the place to sit, preparing to receive the Holy Ghost, with a brilliant smile. She has changes so much since I first met her. It's the influence the things she is learning, and the changes she makes of necessity to qualify for baptism, and so much more.

The same priesthood holder who baptized her also confirmed her. She was blessed with strength to endure, and reminded of the role she will play for future generations, serving for much time in the church. Elder Smith told me that evening that we are allowed to record our blessings in the church. If that is true, I'm sure they don't play the same role as a patriarchal blessing. Still, that sounds like a rare opportunity. Maybe I'll do that in the future, where appropriate. Do not quote me on this, however. I am not a steady source for that idea.

I am grateful, ever so grateful, for y'all prayers and thought on behalf of myself and those I work around. Your prayers indeed make it to Heaven, and they indeed are felt. They at times only lack a return address. Well, except for family. I know they pray, and I am confident that others care too.

Questions and Answers

S seems to be doing good member missionary work. Have you been able to meet with L, P and B again?

Unfortunately not. L was unable to make it to church with S, though S said they would be there. I don't think the rain was in their favor this weekend. It cause a lot of trial last year! P loves to work. I think he may have retired, but he probably is no longer retired. As a result, it has made it difficult to meet with them. We've set a couple of appointments, but he cancels just before. In their time, I suppose. And in God's too.

Just how wonderful IS the Relief Society in your ward?   

Well, just as fantastic as all RF's are. Just a different size and with different quirks. I can't remember when I mentioned them last email, but I suppose I had to. At any rate, they have sucked Venita in and won't let her leave alone. It's great. They are organize, and focused. Best of all, this last Sunday a new ward missionary was called, the only Sister we have right now. She'll be of great help.

What tender mercies has the Lord shown you this week?

I want to maintain this kind of relationship with God that I felt I had last week. Of course there are ups and downs. What I mean to say is that I felt the still small voice guide me, and I felt it just a little better this week. I testify that when the prophets speak of a still small voice, that the Holy Spirit is that, they are true. It isn't a metaphorical way to say it's hard to notice when the Spirit communicates to you. If you aren't trying to listen, it probably won't try to communicate the message any louder the next time. Small guidance led me to have courage and talk to the yard worker with my companion. Small guidance has led me to reconsider my humor, and think if perhaps I can build just a little more than I fell with it. Great week. I probably wrote way too much, so don't expect the same amount in the future. This is a treat guess. Or maybe it's like a peep, with too much sweet stuff. Jaja, I'm kidding of course. I hope I could touch someone today.


Pictures!


Found a frog. Hi frog. It fell into the fog.



Another frog we found days before service. Not. My. Hand.

Elder Smith taking a picture before the baptism starts.

Hello!  A snake visits us during our service activity


Still waiting on more baptismal photos. We're going to get them, but this time I didn't take them. So I need to ask for them . . .

Elder Hall
Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment