Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Letter to My Twin Niece and Nephew on their 13th Birthday

Dear Eliza and Davis,

Happy early birthday you too. I can't believe you entered beehives and the deacon's quorum a year ago, and I wasn't even there for it to happen. Stop growing so quick you silly people. Anyway, I think of you both often when I see the deacons and beehives of Lake Travis. Y'all are awesome. And a special shout out to Eliza, congratulations to you for your achievement. When you move on, don't forget Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. When He suffered for us on the cross and in Gethsemane, he payed for the price of all of our sins. But he also enabled us to become better people than we are. That means through His atonement we can even perform better than we would by ourselves. He will help you to remember your practice and training, and above all, he will help you to be an example to others. No matter what the result is in the eastern nationals, know that God will allow you to be satisfied, wether you go on, or not.

Great job y'all. The things you do should be celebrated. But, that's not the main reason I'm writing this email. So a long time ago, in a state far away, Elder Hall was Christian Hall. He was thirteen too, and he got a Facebook account. You might disagree, but Facebook is not at all too different from Instagram. Maybe it's a little simple, easier to enjoy, but it still involves connecting to other people.

When I began to use Facebook, he really enjoyed it. He learned how his friends were doing, he could visit the pages of things he really liked, and there were games you could play with your friends. I stated out using it only once and a while. But then I started to use it more than I really talked to my friends at school. I felt more comfortable chatting to them through Facebook than talking to them face to face.
There are countless hours of time that I spent on that website, and if I had spent all of that time reading the scriptures instead of being on Facebook, woah, my life would have forever changed.

So Instagram is probably a bit different. It's probably simpler, and may not have games or quite the amount of things to spend your time on. If so, that's great. Even so, the Adversary, the one who wants us to be sad, to waste our time, and to feel like he does, will try to use anything he can to accomplish that goal. The Savior can help us to use those very same tools, like the Internet in general, and Facebook or Instagram or whatever, to do good. But the forces of darkness will work just as hard to do the opposite. When you use Instagram, please be careful that you don't use it more than you talk to your friends face to face. It can be a dangerous place too. Some of your friends may not be members of the church, and there is nothing wrong with that. They might have different standards. Sometimes they might share things with you that are not appropriate. Other times, they may tempt you to waste time. Always follow the Spirit, and you will be protected from making any horrible mistake.

Remember who you are. Remember that like our prophet and apostles, taught us, you are a son and daughter of God! You have such potential to do good and be an example. And while a smart person will learn from their mistake, you can be wise, and learn from the mistakes, or teachings, of others. You don't need to spend as much time on Instagram as I did on Facebook. You both will be better prepare to serve a mission, have a family, be a teenager, or any of those things by reading the scriptures even half as much as I used Facebook as a 13, 14, 15, 16, year old.

I may not be able to watch what you do online, but know that I pray for you both. If you wouldn't do something online with your mom or dad near, you probably shouldn't do it at all. Don't be afraid though. You can do good, avoid evil, and be happy. God has made that possible for all of us.

I love you both, little guys/girl. You're growing too fast. I can't believe it. Tell Roger and Reed that I love them too. I'm really grateful that you are my niece and nephews, and for the temple. We are sealed together, and we will be together forever, if we can all be strong and follow Christ, the one who loves us the most.

Your uncle forever,

Elder Hall
Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment