Thursday, February 11, 2016

Swimming Through Lake Travis

Dear everyone,

Blessings and miracles abound. So for those of you unaware of this recent change (should be most of you), this week our transfer set up has changed. From now on, we receive our transfer information on Monday morning, and then on Tuesday and Wednesday people will drive to wherever they need to in order to make the change. No more transfer meetings. But on the bright side, they tell us the area and the companion we will be with in this Monday call, and we are more informed that normal. The news: Elder Hansen will be . . . . . . staying. Me too. But Elder Blackhurst will be leaving and Elder Aguila will be training a new missionary, Elder Smith (yes, that is a very unique last name, I know.)  I was kind of expecting a change in our companionship, not because I hate the area or my companion, but because I've never been with a single companion for 13 weeks before. Essentially he breaks the record of Elder Drennan for longest service time with a companion.

We met with V again this week. She has been reading a little, but she didn't make it to church. On the bright side however, she will be able to come to church next week, and she gave us a firm commitment.

R has re-entered the radar. He made it to church this last week, and we should be able to meet with him once more. He will need some time before he is baptized, but it should happen eventually. He is definitely on the right track.

Now we are working on doing a few things. 1). Create more trust in the ward so that they feed us more often J but even better, provide referrals. 2). Increase the amount of people that we are teaching. We still have a great amount of people, but we need more. We want to teach repentance and baptize nations, well, in scale with our area's population, of course.

Last night I was pillow-talking (a missionary term for having a conversation with your companion[s] while in bed before falling asleep) with Elder Hansen. My IPad was open but locked, and I must of caught it's attention. Suddenly a bright light emitted, and I hear "Siri is not available. Connect to the internet." SIRI. WHAT IN THE WORLD. WE'RE HAVING A MEANINGFUL CONVERSATION AND YOU JUST BLINDED ME. It was funny eventually, but it really hurt my eyes.

On Wednesday I gave a training on the importance and the method of giving invitations. I applied SMART goals to SMART invitations. We have to extend the invitation, ask direct questions, promise blessings, testify, and follow up with them. Each fits to its particular letter of SMART. I hope everyone liked the training. It has been a while since I have given one.

My repaired IPad has been having some struggles. My case no longer can turn it off and on as I open and close the case, and there seems to be a tiny blotch in the screen. And during the last little while, the IPad’s sound system has decide to go static bad every once in a while. So I will take advantage of the warrantee on the repair and get it taken in.

 Smile, life is great.

Questions and Answers

Did you already have transfers and your new companion is Elder Aguila?

No. I am not sure what I said to confuse anyone, but Elder Hansen is still my companion.
How has your weather been?

Weather typical of Texas. The day feels like summer, and the night only vaguely bites of autumn cold. Essentially the weather is mild, and Utah is probably getting more snow that this part of town has seen in a life-time.

Have you been able to use and study your EspaƱol with your companion?

We speak it amongst ourselves every day. I'm still hoping to pass the tier 3 test, and with the recent transfer change, I'm not sure when I will take it. Pray that I study well, take it well, and that all will be well!

How has the Spirit guided you this week?  

We visited with a less active family the other day that we've been trying to invite to church for time. The mom has been working two jobs to help pay of their home, and she works on Sundays as a result. They finally paid it off, and we visited with a ward missionary and found out about it. We shared the restoration with them, and the ward missionary shared an experience where he quit his job so that he could find another one and get his Sundays back. It was a powerful testimony.

Afterwards, I felt prompted to promise them a blessing that knew was not in me to promise. I told them that as they sacrificed whatever was necessary to make it to church on Sundays, that their income would grow according to their needs, and that their family would come back together, eventually allowing them to have an eternal family. I felt winded after sharing this. I knew it touched their hearts, and they committed to come.

In what ways have you felt the Lord's love for you this week?

Well, He hasn't gotten rid of me yet. But truly, He still allows me to do His work in the area. I'm kind of glad He hasn't decided to send me home with an injury or something of the like. I see His love for me in all the people that we teach. I am allowed to act as a medium through which He communicates to his children. At times I offer bad reception value, and He has to use my companion, but at times I can be a tool in His hands. That is enough for me at the moment.

Pictures!!

A little bit of catch up since I forgot to send pictures last week:

Elder Mackay and I on the exchange. We found a beautiful view of a nearby lake, and took pictures of it.
Here's a wider view of Lake Travis


A pancake-turkey sandwich with some tortilla chip salad.



And this has got to be one of the most wonderful things. A turtle with cactus in it. Anyone who knows my infatuation with turtles and cactuses knows my happiness.



Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment