Thursday, October 1, 2015

Siguen Adelante (keep going (talking to a group))

Dear dearest family, friends, and other acquaintances and such,

There's always the chance that life will throw me another curveball and everything will change with the coming transfer, and there is the chance that things will maintain the same general pace. Dunno. Here's to hoping that your futures are illuminated by Christ's redeeming light.

This week we were able to get to know a new family that moved in. Teagan, Cliff, and Katherine are somewhat new to the area, and we got to know them. Cliff isn't a member, and Teagan hasn't been super active, but Katherine was baptized about a year ago and we're hoping to keep things going strong with them. They get comfortable talking with some of the members of the ward at church yesterday. It was funny how Cliff accepted the invitation to come to church.

We came by and Cliff gave us a quick tour. Afterwards, he explained that he'd never met a missionary that he didn't arm wrestle. He arm-wrestled Elder Hovinghoff, and the Elder won. He told us that he had injured his wrist recently, and that was the reason he wasn't up to full strength. He insisted that I wrestle him, but I joked and said that I wanted to break his chain. Finally, Elder Hovinghoff wagered that I wrestle him, and if I won, he would come to church. He agreed, and even allowed me to use both arms. Katherine weakened me by wrestling first. Oddly enough, by using both of her arms, jumping, and using her weight to pull by hanging on, if felt pretty tired after the wrestle was over. I then wrestled Cliff. His wrist injury proved to be too much, and I barely won. I don't think arm wrestling would work under normal circumstances to invite someone to church, but if someone allows you to do it, why not?

Exchanges with Elder White were fun. It took me a while, but I realized that he has been serving his mission for shorter than I. It made me feel a little old. Otherwise, we did some measure of driving, did a little bit of service, and enjoyed the time. It was weird when I caught myself praying in Spanish, and realized he didn't speak it, and switching back to English. Spanish is such a natural prayer language, it simply works. A member family took us to the Bahama Bucks in the area, and I downed a 32 oz snow cone. Maybe not the best idea in hindsight, but it was worth it. Turns out that key lime pie, coconut cream pie, blueberry cheese cake and strawberry cheese cake go well together. Or somehow I enjoy that much flavoring.

Elder Hovinghoff and I are speaking a little more Spanish together. He's still learning, and at times he seems to portray that he doesn't feel confident about his ability to learn the language. At any rate, I've been doing my best to speak it 100% that we are together. I need to pray harder and commit more completely that I will speak all of the time possible. English in many ways is like a weapon of rebellion. Burying it might manage difficult when the ground is the consistency of clay, but will bury much more securely.

Last night we met an awesome father Justin. We taught him the Restoration, and he loved it. When we discovered his address we were a slight bit saddened. Though he accepted a date for baptism on the 24th of October, he lives barely outside of our area. We'll have to pass him along to Sister Missionaries. Same team, but sometimes you want to experience the teaching first hand.

Questions and Answers

What sort of ways do you help the members to share the gospel?

Lately we've been inviting members to do service. Preach My Gospel suggests that we do that, and I've begun to notice just a tiny bit as to why. By serving, they touch hearts. Then softened hearts ask questions. In not, blessings come in anyway.
Are you watching out for deer in the road?

Weren't as many abounding this week. For sure, however. For sure.    

In that picture of your bedroom is the really tall bed Elder Hovinghoff's- since he is the climber?      

Nope, I was sleeping on that behemoth. Since then however, I took off one of the mattresses and Elder Hovinghoff added it to his stack. I was grateful, however, as I was too close for comfort from the ceiling fan beforehand.

How have you been directed or helped by the Spirit in your work this week?   

During the lessons we've had, I've definitely felt the guidance of the Spirit in knowing what to say. At the beginning of my mission, and at times even now, I would focus strongly on what I would say next. Doing so would cut out the influence of the Spirit, and generally I wouldn't hear what my companion or those we taught would say. By focusing on listening, and truly, truly, listening, it is easier to distinguish the needs of those we teach and to invite them to come to Christ.

I'm still doing my best to put Christ back into the planning process. This is His work, His glory, and these are His children. I definitely have noticed that no one progress that the Lord does not prepare beforehand, and we do not find anyone that the Lord hasn't decided that we should meet. Maybe I've lost my opportunity to teach some that were prepared for me to teach because of lack of faith or ignoring a prompting. I would certainly hope not. I would also hope that we all have the courage to talk to who the Lord asks us to talk to, and do what he would have us to do. In the eternal scheme of things, it is the only intelligent thing to do.

Do you think that Tony and Ken might be able to see part of General Conference this week? 
    
Likely. We will definitely invite them, and hope that they attend. You can put your money on the prophet and his apostles. They are mean of sound minds that you can definitely trust. As to how much conference, we'll have to see.

What would you like for us to pray for on your and your people's behalf this week?
Pray that I overcome excuses and speaks Spanish purely. Pray that our eyes will be open to those prepare to hear the gospel. Pray that I will adjust to whatever changes the Lord gives me.

Until next week!
--
-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment