Tuesday, September 8, 2015

His Work of Salvation

Dear family, friends, and others,

Things are looking up, I'm beginning to adjust a little more to working in two wards, and the heat is down a few degrees. I am definitely sure that the Lord has an active role in these two wards. Serving somewhere in the Austin area was secret wish of mine at the beginning of my mission.

Last week a member pointed us to one of his friends in the area. We went by and met Tony, one of the first people I've met that has read from the apocrypha. Tony is extremely bright. We shared the restoration with him and talked about the blessing of baptism that is available as a result. Without hesitation, he accepted the invitation to be baptized. I was proud of Elder Hovinghoff who extended the invite. It was a promising first visit.

Later we visited a again with David, another member. He had been reading from the Book of Mormon, and knew that it was true. We were more excited, we reminded him of baptism, and he shared that he was still excited for his. We saw him again that weekend, things going as they should. When church came around, we found out he wasn't available for David to pick him up that morning. We were disappointed, but the experience with Tony reminded me of God's power to prepare his own people.

We had exchanges this week with Elder Shields and Elder White, our district leader. Serving with Elder Shields, a new missionary in his second transfer was a blast. New missionaries have an energy that is hard to imitate: excited, willing to learn, ready to preach. He shared a tender mercy he saw when he noted that he was disappointed to miss eating pizza with a family in his Ward. Instead the family we ate with also shared pizza with us. It was great to drive again for the day.

In Austin they do not use plastic bags at stores. I was surprised to learn this, but I've laughed as the past two p-days before this one, we forgot to bring our bags with us to go shopping. There seems to be less roadkill around as well. I almost miss the dogs that would stalk you in Carrizo Springs, as walking around in Cedar Park and Leander isn't challenging.

In our Zone Conference this week we received trainings on turning outward and avoiding contention. A sister missionary cited the famous counsel from President Hinckley's father, "Forget yourself and go to work." For some reason, that phrase didn't quite sink in until this recent meeting. I've found truth in that counsel and a hidden happiness. Then, after seeing examples given by our leaders, I found practical application of the principle of dissipating contention.

Enjoying a cool treat on the way back from Zone Conference 
We knocked the door of a pastor for another faith. We were looking for someone else, but we talked to him. He introduced himself, and we shared about temples, and the blessings of baptisms for the dead. While he didn't agree with the doctrine, the conversation ended well as we sincere asked about his beliefs and his faith in Christ. I felt a positive gift of persuasion as we talked. We might visit him again.

Questions and Answers

Does your tablet allow you to look back on the emails you have sent and see again the emails sent to you? 

Yes, I have access to all the messages I've received since I first received it. That being said, I only receive messages when we use the internet. It's almost like I still must check a mail box to get mail. Please feel free to send emails. This is still something special about a hand written letter. Both have their place.

How are you and Elder Hovinghoff doing getting to know and understand each other?

Working together has helped us to get to know one another. I've been doing much better. Your prayers are all felt. Even those of you that wonder if it does, I see the results of them. Elder Hovinghoff and I are getting better at dispelling contention from among us. He is one of the greatest examples I have seen of patience. Not a complaint, not a fidgety remark, not a selfish demand comes from him. He says he wants to have a big family one day. He would make a great father of many children.

He's likely learned that I sing to myself when I think no one is listening.

Is the weather still really hot in the Cedar Park and Carriage Hills area?     

Quite. I feel adjusted. Lots of water and patience act as magnificent remedies. For short, you might call it "Cedar Hills area" or "Carriage Park".

How is your heart this week?  

In a healthy condition physically and Spiritually. I definitely felt a burden lift from my shoulders as I recognized that Christ already lifted it for me. The Sacrament is a true ordinance!

How has the Spirit helped you this week?

The Spirit helped to guide my personal prayers. I felt like I've struggled for words to say in prayers before, but the Lord already knows what we need. Sometimes it helps to ask for help knowing what we need, and diligently follow promptings as you ask for it in prayer, and seek it throughout your day.

Thank you Mom and Dad for your letters of encouragement. Thank you Erin and Tracy for yours as well. Things have gotten better and will continue to get better as the Lord performs his work in Carriage Cedars. I love you all.

Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment