Tuesday, June 9, 2015

You Never Stop Learning

Good afternoon Family, Friends, and others,

Missionary work is still progressing here in 10th ward.

What I'm now going to talk about is important for anyone who emails or would like to email me in the future:

Recently we received tablets. This means that I'm able to access mail during the week. From a missionaries’ perspective, we love to receive mail because it tells us that we are being thought about. I am glad for the support that I've receive so far in my mission. That being said, if I receive mail from you during the week, I can read it but I won't respond to it unless it is an emergency that I can help with, or responding would magnify my purpose as a missionary. Please do not email me expecting a response during the week. I want to focus on my missionary calling, this is a deep desire of mine. Don't hesitate to email me if you would like, but please do not be offended when I haven't responded. I will wait until P-day to respond.

For the sake of time, I'll start with questions:

How are you and Elder Black doing with the map and double territory to serve? 

We're doing well. Because we have plenty of ground to cover, we focus on meeting with the people who are willing and available to meet. Elder Black commented to me this week that in his experience, San Antonio the city itself has more work to do than his other areas. I believe he means that by more work, he means there are many ways to strengthen and lift members of the ward and the people of the area. Because plenty of people will hear us, we need to focus on finding those who will listen to us.

We're also working with old paper maps in an area that changes rapidly. We often laugh when we look for a street name we are given that isn't marked or simply doesn't exist anymore. Using maps online is handy, because it's more updated, but we can't reference those as often. It's enjoyable to learn how to travel in a city.


What is the biggest change you have experienced this week (mind, heart, and territory- whatever)? 

I'm learning to relax. Relaxing isn't really something you do when you have nothing else to do. Instead, it's a way of cleaning yourself mentally of things that simply don't matter. Elder Black is a great example of focusing on the most important things. His personality is more tranquil and calm. He keeps his eyes Jesus Christ, and does what he can to move in that direction without worrying how fast he's going.

What part of Salt Lake is Elder Black from?  

He says "West Mill Creek." Really, he lives much closer to the city than most people do, I suppose.

How are sister R, Omar and Brother H and his grandchildren? 

We're visiting Sister R and her family as well as Brother H and his family on a regular basis -- at least once a week. We haven't been able to catch Omar for quite a while. Because we can only find him by visiting him at home, it often takes a while to catch up with him. I see your prayers every day, especially with these families.

What are your thoughts on your coming 11th of June anniversary?

I feel quite blessed to serve where I am sent. It doesn't really matter if I move a little or a lot (to different areas), I can and do feel happy as I lose myself in the scriptures, and in the service of the families and people who live here. Time goes quite quickly in my perspective.

Briefly, this week we received little portable devices that will help us to work. I'm still getting used to using mine, and it might take a while to get adjusted to using it to study, but I'm not concerned about becoming a master all at once.

Last night on our way home we passed by a lady that was sitting on her front porch. Elder Black and I were ready to keep going, but we felt that we should go by. When we talked to her, we'll call her Mary for the sake of privacy, she began to tell us about her previous experience with missionaries who had visited her. I didn't know her, but I could tell her faith was strong. When we meet people like Mary, I feel renewed in my desire to find those waiting for the Restoration's light to touch them.

May your faith in Christ lead you to learn more about Him,

--
-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment