Monday, January 12, 2015

Another Good Week Here in Universal City


Dear Family, and all others who sustain me with their prayers and such,

Elder Vergara started last P-day by buying a matching ties with a gift card that members of this ward gave to us for Christmas. I'll get a picture to everyone next week, but the ties look like they are from Tron. That made me pretty happy. Off the top of my head, I believe that I now have at least 25 ties in my ownership. I came out with only 8. Shows you how much Elders become tie-magnets when they serve for long enough. I've heard stories of missionaries coming home after a mission bearing more tie that other luggage. That won't be my goal for my mission, however.
Tony and Staniel didn't make it to church this week. They "overslept." I believe them of course, but I wouldn't want that to be an excuse ever in my life to miss church. Sister Rios had pink eye, so that's probably why her husband didn't make it to church. Now that he's working a night shift, Brother Rios will probably be much harder to get a hold of. We're hoping for luck when we try to visit, because it looks like their family has plenty of potential. Ramon made it to church, however, and she and her son and daughter-in-law came to Gospel Principles. It seems that while we always receive blessing when we are righteous, we don't get every blessing.

Every so often I get to engage in an exchange. This time, for the first time ever, I stayed in my area for the exchange and Elder Reimschussel, which might ring a bell, came to UC. He reminds me a bunch of my brother, Tracy. He actually shares birthdays with him, too. Elder R and I paired together to pass out copies of the Book of Mormon my very first day in the TSAM. So we caught up a bit, taught Rocky (explained later), and helped another less-active by giving him a blessing. Elder Reimschussel knows how to be kind, a missionary, and himself all at the same time. He taught me about initiative.
When he and I went over to give service to Richard and then a lesson afterwards, he showed his kindness and his testimony as we read about the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. Then, as we left his house, he saw someone working in a loading truck, and before I could even begin, he shot after the man to go say hello, and share a card with him. His attitude was always positive, and when he tells you, "[your name], you are basically my favorite person ever.", you knew that he meant it, and could simultaneously mean it when he told it to every other missionary he's met. Funny guy, maybe I'll be companions with him one day.

We've started to text out a daily scripture to some of our investigators and others we've talked to. We've seen how daily scriptures can help these people, especially as it has impacted those we weren't sure could be impacted well. It reminds me even more of how important daily scripture study is for all of us. It give us strength, alleviate stress and empowers us to bless one another in the way that God would have us bless them. I assert that a habit of daily scripture study will benefit you far more than just about any other health related practice that exists. If you aren't reading daily, give it a try. Even a verse, pondered carefully for a few minutes will make a great impact on your life. When we met with Tony and Staniel, we could tell that it was blessing Staniel as she sought to do it.
Speaking about the lesson we had with Tony and Staniel, it went well too. We read over the family proclamation to the world, and tied it into eternal families a tad bit. We also, however found out that they aren't married. Just a little road block on the path. Ooof. It seems like they have desires to be married, but if they aren't, they won't be able to be baptized. Keep them in you prayers if you would, and we'll continue to urge them to make that decision. Their kids seem to love church last week, and we were sad when their family didn't make it

We think that the next step to allowing Richard to make it to church would be a church tour. So we've invited him to tour it this Tuesday, and we'll bring a member with us as well. Sometimes as members we don't notice the spirit that the church contains, because we become so accustomed to it. And while we may be more spiritually sensitive, this very repetitive nature sometimes makes it harder to notice these things.
We wanted to go over to Julia and Brandon's home, but Julia hurt her back, and Brandon decided that the weather wouldn't be appropriate for service. And while we laugh a little about this, since we would better bear the weather going in and out of their house than walking from how to house to look for someone to visit, we understood his protectiveness and desire to help us. Ouch! Sometimes mortality hurts.

With all of these experiences, it'll be hard to come home. while I'll be excited to return, I have an equally opposing feeling that doesn't want my mission to end.

Questions and Answers

So how are your investigators doing?   

All of the families should be doing fairly well. I should have addressed it in the main bulk of the email.

The Book of Mormon touches people and allows the Spirit to testify to their hearts. I don't know a single active member of the church who hasn't receive their own testimony of this book, or are not striving diligently to obtain one.

One of the people we are beginning to work with is Rocky. He's a retired Hispanic with a powerful humility stuffed within him. As we read the Book of Mormon with him, he mentioned to us a few times that he could feel the spirit as he read, and that it was very similar to the Bible. That's power.

Has there been much fog and can you ride your bikes in the fog?

Not a bunch of fog. If there is too much fog, there is usually too much rain, so we won't ride in those situations. I don't know if fog has every impeded us alone.

So what was nice and sweet and funny?   

Brother Muñoz had his birthday this week, and he was kind enough to invite use over to eat with his family for dinner. He had a friend/relative over named Luis, and Luis had plenty of funny stories to tell.

And how is the Spirit guiding you this week?
The Spirit is extremely important as we read the Book of Mormon with those we teach. We do our best on our own to point out the insights that they will need, but the Spirit knows loads better than we do what they need, and what they don't need. It's easy to overwhelm some people who need the basics first.

I think  the Spirit will also help us to teach our children as we remain worthy of it's guidance.

--

-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

P.S. Thanks for the details about my fellow student back at my highschool. Any info from any'all will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment