Monday, June 30, 2014

First Week in San Antonio


My, my, the air here is muggy, but the field is white already to harvest. Hello everyone!
First off, questions I got from Matthew W.:

1. So how do you like your music?
Pretty good. I haven't really heard any of the songs that he gave me yet, as I don't listen to it every day, or for too long. Music can uplift me, and everyone else, alot.
2. Do you listen to it much?
Usually only in the evening past 9:30 and before 10:30, or in the morning as I eat breakfast. So far, maybe about 20 more or less on any given day.
3. Has your speaker exploded yet?
Nope
4. What's your companions name? (Is he smelly?)
Elder Kroggs. Nope.
5. What's the coolest thing you've experienced so far in Texas? (that's me stupidly assuming that I remember that you're in Texas)

Probably the time I ignored the Spirit's prompting to talk to a fellow who passed us on our bikes and parked his car in his driveway. I ended up biffing pretty bad without hurting myself too much, and then I understood we should turn around and go talk to him. Didn't get to teach him much, but we did however give him a pass along card. I'm glad we turned back.

To begin, my new companion elder Scroggs will also be my trainer for the first transfer (6 weeks) that I am here. He and I get along very well, but he likes silence even more than I enjoy it. I think I can learn many things from him. Plus he cooks really well. And he's faithful, obedient, and kind to me even when I'm not too kind to myself. I don't have a picture with him yet, so maybe I'll get one with him here in the Family History Lab after I've uploaded the others.
My first area here I will serve in an area that only covers a ward. The ward is much bigger than the boundaries of wards back at home, but it it's a ward. In this area I will be primarily an english speaking missionary. In the past Elder Scroggs had an english companion (he's called spanish speaking, and he's from oregon.) who would only occassionally help during his lessons with spanish investigators and members. But so far I have had the chance to teach a fair amount in spanish anyways. We share a vehicle with english hermanas in our ward/district hermana Woodward and Pyper, so we use our bikes to get anywhere that the sister's wouldn't go to. That probably doesn't make too much sense.

Right now Elder S and I are focusing on finding new people to teach as investigators, and strengthening part member families. We do a fair amount of street contacting as we travel to appointments, and we knock doors to fill in the best hours of the day: 6:00 to 9:00. I've had the chance to teach in english as well as spanish to people we meet, as well as the occasional Tex-mex, Mexican spanish mixed with Texan english.
Yesterday I was able to give my first priesthood blessing to a fellow named Keith Mole(h). I know that the words I spoke were my own, but the ideas came from the Spirit. I think the more I tried to pick the right words, the more i stuttered. When I finally decided to just speak what came to me, it came out clearer, and I knew they where the things that Hermano Mole needed to hear.

 Also, I am in a different time zone than utah has, just an hour ahead. This kind of surprised me on the plane ride here, when a plane attendant announced the time change. Not too bad, though, right Dad?

This is a picture of me and my first companion (MTC) Elder Zelaya in front of the Provo Temple on our first pday. I'll send another email with more pictures.


The weather in San Antonio is muggy, but I kinda like it. The moisture is like a soft blanket. Can't really take the blanket off, however X D.
​-Elder Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment