Monday, May 30, 2016

Making The Most

Dearest all of y'all,

This week is great. I'm going to let you know beforehand:

I blame Elder Smith for distracting me. Kidding, of course. This week was full of miracles. We were able to lend ourselves to serving others this week. We had the opportunity to walk around a few neighborhoods and offer service to people. The other Elders call this "Ammon Day." Please ask me how our next Ammon Day goes. As Ammon in the scriptures served before he taught, we can make an impact without the need to sit down and teach.

Sister Smith was unable to make it to church yesterday because the power went out for them. However, we had a few good visits with her to help her begin her family history. I could help but think of my own family, what my parents taught me, and to recognize the Spirit in greater abundance. The work of salvation is our work. We don't simply knock doors. There are many things that we can do to help others.

This coming week we will be having a zone conference. Our leaders have called it the "Press Forward" zone conference. It makes sense. With the change of mission presidents, and all the other change that comes with it, pressing forward is key. Especially when things are going smoothly we need to heed the scriptures, pray to our father in heaven, and serve.

I've noticed a change in my letters since the beginning. At the beginning I was very concerned with how I wrote home. For those of you reading on the blog, I thought of those of you whom I cared about, and I got anxious many times as I wrote. What y'all think of me isn't quite as important as what the Lord thinks of me. Therefore His work will have a far greater lasting effect on us when we choose to engaged in it. No work is more satisfying. No other job would quench spiritual thirst. There never was a better way know the Lord than by serving him.

In Nephi taught me of the lasting affect that records have, especially spiritual records (2 Nephi 33: 1-2). Thank you for all of your prayers on my behalf. Thank you, my family, for allowing me to leave for a time. I truly needed it.

Questions and Answers

How has your week with Elder Anderson and the work been?    

Diligent and satisfying. We've met some new people and had dinner with a different family. This family in particular has proficiency in both Spanish and English. They took us to a restaurant where we ate good Mexican food. Real stuff. Sorry Utah, but Cafe Rio isn't as authentic as this food was. I had a torta al pastor, which is basically a grilled sandwich with marinated pork meet, pineapple, guacamole, and a couple of other things.

How have you searched for good with the help of God this week?  
 
In a number of ways. One eternal truth I've seen this week is a principle of trials. Life is meant to allow us to grow closer to our Heavenly Father and improve. When we are doing what we should, keeping the commandments and growing, the Lord in a sense allows trials to occur. These are not punishments. The Lord knows what ultimately will bring us the most peace.

How is B doing, has she met any sisters to help support her? 

A euphemism is not required.

We saw Á when we went by and he explained that he had a different religion. When we asked when would be a better time, he used the phrase, "ya no." He doesn't want us to return, and so we offered to have missionaries return in a half year or so. If we were to continue to push, it would have worsened the condition. They are in the Lord's hands, and he will take care of them. He can prepare them through their personal circumstances.

 And how are J and E and family?  

We haven't gone by this week. We'll need to follow up.

In what ways have you felt Father's love for you this week?

In many subtle ways that the Lord has reminded me about his love. He is Diligent where we are not, and so his love was consistent. This work is amazing. I'm praying for all of you. Whoever reads should know that God loves them. He never fails.

Pictures

I saw this photo and remembered instantly something that happened. Elder Brough now is in the district!

Greg was baptized!

And so was Esmerelda, someone that Elder Black and I found!


Keep your faith burning bright. The Lord leads the way.

Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment