Monday, July 20, 2015

Getting to know others

Dearest family, friends, and fellow members of the church,

We had a great week this week. There were plenty of opportunities to learn, and I feel the Lords love for the members and people of Carrizo Springs area. There are people here that will receive us and hear the Lord's voice (Mosiah 26:20).

This week I had the opportunity to go on an exchange with my district leader, Elder Jackson. Because there was plenty of time spent driving to his apartment and from it, we spoke plenty of Spanish together. I noticed during the exchange that speaking and thinking in Spanish brings less stress than choosing between it and English. Focusing on Spanish helped me to focus on other people, rather than on myself. He helped me to learn a few new words and felt like I got to know him well. What a blessing this exchange was!

I should mention, briefly, that pulling into the lot in front of our house, I "parked" the truck into one of the front support beams and broke it at the base. Let me stress, we were not harmed. The truck was damage and the house was too, but the damages won't put us in danger. Please pray, but don't worry.
I'm also getting to know Elder Craner well. One day this week we drove to a neighboring town and moved dirt from a pile into a truck for a member of the branch here. His diligence during service inspired me to work harder, and I could tell that he was used to working hard. In addition to being a hard worker, he cooks tasty meals in an efficient way.


Could you tell us about the members?
The branch that we work in is growing gradually. My first sacrament meeting we had a large new family move into branch, which was exciting for us all. I haven't gotten to know all of the members of the branch, but I have met all of the active members.

One of the larger struggles for some members is the distance. Some members have to drive 45 minutes to get to church, and that does not include the return trip. Other families have fathers obligated to go to work on most Sundays. Active priesthood holders have a strong influence on the branch, and do a lot to help the other members. I enjoy working here.

Have you seen any cowboy boots and hats and armadillos?

I haven't noticed any more cowboy boots or hats here than what I saw in the Uvalde area. As for armadillos, you see them among other roadkill as you drive from town to town. I saw at least one armadillo.

Oh, and driving through town our truck hit a bird in flight. I didn't know where it fell, so I couldn't apologize to it.

And providing service with your truck?

So far the truck brings us to where we need to go, but we don't haul our own tools. We usually use the tools provided to us, and our service clothes.

 And what part of Idaho is Elder Craner from?  

Meridian Idaho. I believe he said it was in the Boise area of the state.

Have you noticed the weather being at all drier a bit further west?

Definitely getting hotter. Definitely dustier. I have a hard time telling the difference in moisture. 

How is it being just you and Elder Craner on your own in service to your people there? 

It's a learning experience. We have different interests, and so at times what we have the most in common is what all missionaries have in common. We are called of a living prophet, and we are representatives of Jesus Christ.  It's great getting to know him, and doing my best to overcome difficulties (our tiredness, and other given circumstances we have).

And how is the Lord blessing you as you and Elder Craner strive to continue to persuade others to good by your good example?

He gives us hope and patience in completing the work we have to do. While neither of us are perfect at communicating with the other, with the Lord's help the most important things happen.

What is the house you are living in like- more open space, bigger living room that you can stretch out and do push -ups in?

We have a bigger living room, and more space to store things here. We also have room to do push ups and a pull up bar (I prefer using the bar). A few mornings a week we leave the house and go running. I love running the most.

What are gas prices like, and do you have to be really careful about mileage?

We have a certain allotted millage every month. We plan how to us our gas so that we don't run out, but we don't have allotted gas. Yes, we must be prudent with how we use miles.

I want to lose myself in the service of the Lord. Nothing is more important than what He wants for us. Serving a mission is the wisest choice you will ever make.

-Elder Hall

Texas San Antonio Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment