Tuesday, May 5, 2015

I Simply Love Missionary Work


Hello Y'all!

A bunch went on this week. Animal stories are a highlight in my mind, but they simply aren't important enough to list. There certainly were too many in my opinion.

We couldn't really catch Omar. His crazy schedule at the baseball field takes his sleep, and interferes with visits. Did I mention Omar in an earlier email? If not, well, I'll try to touch him more next week.

We caught Jonathan and Sandra and shared the 10 commandments taught by Abinidi. We tried to focus on keeping the Sabbath day holy, and he seemed to expect it. However, he didn't make it to church, so we were a little sad about that.

Karla is really hard to catch. We keep missing her, and we try by too much. We'll catch her and the rest of the family eventually.

This weekend, Elder Drennan and I were able to participate in the baptism of Yesenia (no ~ in the name, i actually had the wrong). By participate, we actually mean we helped set it up. She and Gregg weren't aware that they were in charge of organizing the program, they were stressed, but we came in to help as best as we could. So when the day itself actually came, we went to the church quite early to fill the font, set up chairs, and attempt to make a program. Eventually Gregg's family, Yesenia, him, and the rest of their kids came, so we juggled setting other things up, and giving a little bit of direction. The first counselor made it, he helped a bunch, and the printer malfunctioned, so the quickly made program didn't actually happen.

The service started late. We had no piano player. Luckily, I have been blessed with a booming voice, and I attempted to replicate the accompaniment and words by leading the music. I'm glad I was taught how to lead music. We began with "I am a Child of God," and lead into a few talks. Elder Drennan gave the one on Baptism in English, and Yesenia's father gave the one on the Holy Ghost in Spanish. Then Yesenia's brother baptized Dulce. We had practiced the motions with him a few days before, and he did a wonderful job. They were a little too worried about doing it right (we did emphasize that it needed to be done correctly), so they hesitated a little, but it was done well. Then we followed with part of the Restoration video, and lead to the confirmation. This was extremely significant for me, because I had the opportunity to confirm her. It was a powerful experience. I felt humbled that I held the priesthood necessary to do it. Really, I can't take credit for the experience at all. I won't forget the feeling I felt.

We helped a little with desserts, clean up, and taking family pictures. We couldn't take any pictures ourselves, so we will probably need to get them from Gregg. He took a few. We invited Gregg's father to visit with missionaries, but he declined, saying that he wanted to keep a open mind, but he wasn't interested. I'm glad he wasn't hostile about it. We'll continue to serve Gregg and the rest of his family, and Yesenia's family as we can. Gregg was happy about the baptism in general.

Gregg ended up being one of the only non members that made it to church yesterday, but many families that we have been inviting made it. We were extremely pleased to see them at church. The Adrich's, the Fernandez's, and a less active member we found with two of her kids, (her name is Sister Rodriguez), also made it. Sister R's oldest daughter is old enough to be baptized, and really wants to be baptized as well. We'll be working with this family as well. Unfortunately, Sister R is living with her boyfriend who isn't as interested. . . but we will invite him as often as we can to learn about Christ's Gospel as well.

Questions and Answers

Are you and Elder Drennan all better from your sickness last week?   

Honestly we are still recovering. It's quite difficult to discover where the illness came from, but we are still well enough to work every day. We have cited a few suspects, and we're going to eliminate them to see if it helps in recovery.

Was Jonathan able to come with Sandra to church this week?  

Sandra got called into work on Sunday, and Jonathan probably wouldn't go by himself. When we saw him again he told us he was catching up on sleep, and told us about Sandra's dilema. Apparently Mother's day will cause her to work on Mother's day. Basically the store she works at is trying to make money. Don't blame them for that, but we wish Sandra had the day off.

How are your prayers on behalf of Gregg and Yesen~ia helping you to 
help them?  

Prayer is helping. I can see that family growing in faith. Especially with Dulce's baptism, now they have two members in the immediate family. :)

How has knowing that mother's day is coming up this Sunday made you want to make sure you tell your family when you are calling?

Knowing this makes me want to ensure less stress is involved. (I already sent the details directly to my parents)

I'm sure you're back to your short sleeved shirts- how are they holding up?

Long story short, my whole wardrobe is having problems. If I didn't explain in the bulk of the email, not worry, I'll touch it in detail next week.

How has the Spirit helped you this week?

I felt the comfort of the Comforter a bunch this week. In the Sacrament prayer, we are promised that we may "always have His Spirit to be with us," meaning we can have it, but not always feel it. But I felt it's comfort this week. It was a great week, but it was hard too. Nothing of great value comes easily.

 Is it still raining a lot?

Off and on. The weather here is hard to predict. It's definitely felt hotter outside, but we haven't hit the peak of the mountain of heat, so to speak.


Happy Mother's day to y'all. Whoever you are, enjoy your time you have with your mothers, and tell them how much you love them. Mother's day is really really important I would say.

Shout out to the best mom out there -- you know who you are :-D.
I love you!
Elder Bertlesen Cooking with his bandana

--
-Elder Hall
Texas San Antonio Mission


No comments:

Post a Comment